ideas on aquascaping

crossan

I have a 55 gallon set up for a seahorse. There are plenty of live rock, I was just curious what everyone uses as hitching posts?

flpriest

I have a few fake plants, some blue, red and watermellon mushrooms, and a patch of green star pollups as well. I also made up some hitching posts from 1 1/2 inch suction cups with 1/4 in dia. dowl rod cut into 1 to 2 inch pieces that are siliconed into the suction cups. They stick to the glass of the tank in a few spots around the tank. My ponies love them!

poniegirl

I like flpriest idea about the suction cups, though I might suggest using airhose or a smaller graphite rod, rather than dowling.
My horses have noticably preferred old style thermometers that are suction cupped to the tank walls, the downspouts for the filter/skimmer intakes. I have to guess that it is the smooth texture they were looking for when they rest (sleep). In my experience, they aren't picky about hitching while they hunt or are active.
Another avenue of theory is that aquascape can also encourage growth of your cope/amphi pod populations. These critters need refuge. You can develope some areas without giving up aesthetics by scaping your rockwork so that there are areas that the seahorses cannot pillage. A few6 inch square rubble areas are good. Just be sure to create these in med.flow aresyou don't want places that can build up detrius and create water quality issues. The pods won't be phased by the flow.

dmitry

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
Another avenue of theory is that aquascape can also encourage growth of your cope/amphi pod populations. These critters need refuge. You can develope some areas without giving up aesthetics by scaping your rockwork so that there are areas that the seahorses cannot pillage. A few6 inch square rubble areas are good. Just be sure to create these in med.flow aresyou don't want places that can build up detrius and create water quality issues. The pods won't be phased by the flow.
One thing I've seen mentioned is putting a bunch of small pieces of live rock into a strawberry basket and placing it into your tank. (The strawberry basket upside down.) This way pods can multiply and grow there and nobody can get in to eat them. But hide this somewhere, unless you want everyone to see a strawberry basket in your tank.

rykna

I started glueing together shells making an elaborate design that would resemble a gorgonian when finished. It is far from being finished, but would it make a suitable hitching post?

reefreak29

Originally Posted by crossan
wow those are pretty good ideas. Do they need hitching posts all over the tank?
seahorses like lots of hitching posts of different shapes and sizes , also your aquascaping is very important you really dont want a lot of live rock (like wall to wall) but to have it congregated in the middle so theres plenty of open water

poniegirl

wow those are pretty good ideas. Do they need hitching posts all over the tank?
They will typically choose a low water flow area to rest and so definitely place hitching options in those areas (from my experience, in the upper third of the tank).
Hunting pods will be an activity that your seahorses will spend a majority of time on. Where there may be a pod population, they will want to hitch.
The most beautiful and seahorse-friendly tanks I have seen have a seagrass bed over live sand (wonderful pod breeding grounds). Some taller hitching rock (like tonga branch) and fake plant.
Understand that to rest, they will want to wrap their tail around the hitch (make the diameter small, with some "stops").
During their active time, it is not much of an issue...they can "hitch" to a sand bed without a lot of effort. Some down pressure on the tail. They are very strong.

rykna

The most beautiful and seahorse-friendly tanks I have seen have a seagrass bed over live sand (wonderful pod breeding grounds). Some taller hitching rock (like tonga branch) and fake plant.
Michelle? Do you have any pics of these tanks you could post to inspire landscaping our horse tanks?

poniegirl

This is nice. The aquascape should hold their interest and imperatively provide stimulation in the form of live snacks (cope/amphipods). This will supplement the twice daily feeding you provide.

rykna

Thank you
I will definitely have to more redesigning in my tank. I don't think I had proper hitching posts, I think mine were to thick. And I love the little plastic cup Lisa came up with too.
What are the favorite live plants of horses?

poniegirl

My own version, with caulerpa.
My tank was established for a year, before I added the first seahorse. The pod population had had full run. It's a big factor.

crossan

Originally Posted by Rykna
Thank you
I will definitely have to more redesigning in my tank. I don't think I had proper hitching posts, I think mine were to thick. And I love the little plastic cup Lisa came up with too.
What are the favorite live plants of horses?
I actually just went to walmart and bought a clear plastic cup also (sorry for stealing your idea lisa)! I just thought it was a great idea. I will post some pics tomorrow, the tank is pretty bare still so please keep that in mind.

rykna

My own version, with caulerpa.
My tank was established for a year, before I added the first seahorse. The pod population had had full run. It's a big factor.
WOW....POD central!!!! Your horses must have thought they had died and gone to horse heaven!!!!

Thanks for the picture, I love your tank. What kind of flow did you use? Without the Wave 2k unit I had for my reef tank(sold it) I never did successfully create a healthy flow. I have been considering purchasing one again.

rykna

I actually just went to walmart and bought a clear plastic cup also (sorry for stealing your idea lisa)! I just thought it was a great idea. I will post some pics tomorrow, the tank is pretty bare still so please keep that in mind.
Sweet
Can't wait to see your pics

poniegirl

Originally Posted by Rykna
WOW....POD central!!!! Your horses must have thought they had died and gone to horse heaven!!!!

Thanks for the picture, I love your tank. What kind of flow did you use? Without the Wave 2k unit I had for my reef tank(sold it) I never did successfully create a healthy flow. I have been considering purchasing one again.
Ah, the flow.
I had a Magnum 250 cannister, a prizm skimmer, a 440 PH and, yep a bubble bar across the back. And now I will explain.
The cannister and the skimmer ran 24/7, one at either end of the tank...the PH and Bubble bar (bubble bar for back to front circulation) ran after feedings (helps ensure that good food is not wasted) and before regular cleanings.
It is very important to keep detrius from building. With the areas for pod growth being a bit dense and feeding twice daily, I needed flow from every direction, at certain times.
If you have ever tried to cover a 55 gallon for full turnover, WITHOUT blowing seahorses out of the tank...well, you learn to adapt.
The seahorses can take heavy water flow for periods of time (10 or 15 minutes) and it is important to the health of the tank.
Four years of this schedule.
The feeding is a must and the water quality is too. That is where some time commitment is essential.

monalisa

Well, come on crossan...let's see some pics of what you found!!
Lisa

rykna

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
Well, come on crossan...let's see some pics of what you found!!
Lisa
Bring on the pics