Ideas

jose2

Just put a 55gal tank up it has cycled, Ive got three damsels in there, about 3 inches a piece. Also have a snail. its been up for about a month. Thinking I need some bottom guys to help clean up the crap or a couple of other type of critters, or fishes Any thoughts or ideas would greatly appreciated. :notsure:

jose2

Ive only got one big one about 6 pounds was low on cash thinkin about maybe getting some of that dead rock cause it is cheaper. do i have to cure it & if yes how :help:

ericp2311

That's exactly what I did...starting out with one piece of rock. I'm still adding, piece by piece, a year later. It's a gradual process, but I'm happy with the way it's turning out.
I'd maybe get some more snails, or a couple of Scarlet Legged Hermit crabs, and keep adding LR as the budget allows.
"Dead Rock" is also fine, but it will take a little longer to get where you want to be.
Patience is the key here!
Eric

snipe

Patience is the key here!
Exactly thats why if the tank is cycling he should let it cycle before adding anything els. If you add lace rock you dont have to cure it because there is nothing on it to cause an amonia spike. Since your cycling you can add any rock you want and dont cure it.

tombonius

I'm not a big advocate of taking on useless debt, but in this case I'd say break out the credit card, buy 40-50 lbs more rock and a skimmer, and do it NOW. in the long run, you'll end up saving money from fish loss, hassle, etc, and probably have a MUCH better tank to show for it. By the way, is there ANY filtration in your system now?