Idoine Dip for mushroom?

entice59

i was wondering if this is possible to promote the growth of mushrooms.
I just get a bowl and fill it up with saltwater from the tank and add some idoine and just dip it in for a few seconds and put the rock back into the tank.
Its just an idea:rolleyes:

I

ivanfj

I've never heard it would help mushroom growing. I thought good lighting is already enough for mushroom grow and iodine only helps shrimps or crabs to "shell" regularly.

sunken ship

Iodine does more than help only shrimps and crabs, however, more than just a little iodine can be deadly to just about everything in a reef environment including mushrooms. I would discourage an iodine dip, just my opinion though.

krux

only use for an iodine dip that i have seen is to remove the little parasites that drill into the mantle of clams. it makes them jump off really fast. as for shrooms, i can not see any clear benefit, maybe you have read something i have not run across about their biology or physiology that the iodine would help with?

saltyshark

My LFS admitted to doing an iodine dip with a short acclimation process. So I figured i'd try it when I bought my shrooms only difference was that I acclimated them for a lond period. After that they never fully opened up and were often shriveled up. As of now...may they R.I.P.:( I would discourage an iodine dip, it's not worth the risk IMO
HTH
SaltyShark

entice59

whoa, i didnt think anyone would do that.... i just thought of it last night... for sure im not going to do that

krux

i have also read that iodine does promote growth, but the standard way to achieve this is to add iodine supplements. get an iodine test kit, and buy something such as kent marine iodine, and dose as directed until you reach the recommended level for your tank. this is only necessary if you have a lot of soft corals though, particularly xenia. for most applications, fi you just have a couple shrooms, the iodine replaced with regular water changes should be enough for the mushrooms to thrive.
I dose because i am trying to propogate shrooms and my single ricordia. this is not a necessity though from all of my research u8nless you are really trying to get maximum growth. again this can only be achieved safely with a test kit, overdosing can be a lethal problem.