If I add new sand to an established tank?

If I add new sand to my established tank what should I expect to happen? Will it experience a cycle or will nothing happen? I definately need to add some more substrate to the tank but want to know what to expect and be ready for it.

geoj

Originally Posted by confusedfishy
http:///forum/post/2804294
If I add new sand to my established tank what should I expect to happen? Will it experience a cycle or will nothing happen? I definately need to add some more substrate to the tank but want to know what to expect and be ready for it.
You wont get a cycle if it is a shallow bed. Just keep all animals from getting trapped as you add.

spanko

Originally Posted by confusedfishy
http:///forum/post/2804294
If I add new sand to my established tank what should I expect to happen? For the most part a sandstorm. To help keeo it down get a pc. of small diameter PVS long enough to reach the bottom of the tank. With a funnel at the top add that sand directing it where you want it to go in the tank. Do not cover upe the entire existing sandbed just do like a quarter of the tank at a time. Then let it sit for while to let the new sand colonize. Will it experience a cycle or will nothing happen? You should not get a cycle unless you stir up the existing sandbed and release a bunch of nutrient into the tank. I definately need to add some more substrate to the tank but want to know what to expect and be ready for it.
I hope that helps a little.

calaxa

Don't do the PVC method. It still stirs it up too much (I tried this the first time). Fill ziplocs with the sand and gently lower to bottom and releasing from there. No sandstorm this way. So long as you don't stir it up, you should not experience another cycle. A little bit of stirring is ok. You could just do a little each day if you want to be very safe.

maxalmon

Either method will work, doing a small section at time is more important. The last time I did this I used the zip lock bag method with no problems.

stanlalee

I did a complete sand change to live sand (real florida live sand not the packaged junk). I siphoned ALL the old sand out, put in the new sand (filled tuperware with sand and put the top on, brought it down to the bottom of the tank and slowly released the lid and poured it out and repeat. mess free way). the new sand had been shipped overnight. still no cycle or any problems.