If you ABSOLUTELY had to pick a salt...

vpotts28

If you absolutely had to pick one of the following salts to use, which would it be, and why?. Which one maintains great levels or calcium, alk, trace elements....
Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
Instant Ocean (Regular)
Instant Ocean Reef Crystals
Oceanic
Kent Sea Salt

earlybird

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
Oceanic...but that is just me.
I tested my Oceanic salt once for calcium and got 520. Might be user error b/c it was my first time using salifert and I don't plan on testing it again until I'm done cycling.
Darthtang what are your levels for oceanic if you don't mind?

baloo6969

This is like asking ..."If you absolutely had to pick one of the following beers to drink, which would it be, and why?. Which one maintains great levels of happiness, and highest taste"
Everyone has there own preferences...just Take a night, go out and see which one makes you the happiest...

hatessushi

This question has been asked almost continously. If you read back through the posts on this forum you will find many answers. I suspect many are tired of answering the same question over and over again. I know i am.
Anyways, to make a long answer short.
I hated - Oceanic and Tropic Marin Pro Reef = to high of calcium, to low pH, to low alk.
So far I love Seachem Reef - all levels are sweet, cost is way cheaper then the other 2. My corals are brighter and salt disolved better.

vpotts28

Originally Posted by baloo6969
This is like asking ..."If you absolutely had to pick one of the following beers to drink, which would it be, and why?. Which one maintains great levels of happiness, and highest taste"
Everyone has there own preferences...just Take a night, go out and see which one makes you the happiest...

Well I mean, I didn't put Tropic Marin on there which would be the Samuel Adams of Seasalt. But I mean if you are comparing Bud Light and Miller Light, I want the one that isn't Avian Water with some hops in it, so that throws Bud Light right out the window. I can't exactly taste test salts, I don't want to have to ask the same question 150-160 gallons down the road. I need some now, so I am asking the opinion of those who have used any of the salts mentioned above. I will find the common ground somewhere in the opinions.
PS any beer will usually do, they all make me quite happy. Especially if any are consumed on some kind of water craft, fishing in the ocean. That is heaven my friends.

vpotts28

Originally Posted by HatesSushi
This question has been asked almost continously. If you read back through the posts on this forum you will find many answers. I suspect many are tired of answering the same question over and over again. I know i am.
Anyways, to make a long answer short.
I hated - Oceanic and Tropic Marin Pro Reef = to high of calcium, to low pH, to low alk.
So far I love Seachem Reef - all levels are sweet, cost is way cheaper then the other 2. My corals are brighter and salt disolved better.
Sushi, I appreciate the post. However, if people are sick of answering the same question then there is a solution, move on to the next thread. I don't mean that in a harsh way, but c'mon. I'm not holding a gun to anyone's head and saying, "hey answer my question". I am simply asking a question about salts, and I will take the opinions to heart, and appreciate the kind advice. Then I will make a conscious decision on which one to go with next. That hardly warrants getting flamed. This isn't a poll for the forum, this is a, I need salt and want to make the best choice. As far as the seachem reef, that wasn't one of my choices, but I will put it in the memory bank.

Well my LFS has RO and Salt water that can be bought. But there have been times where i need salter water fast so i borrowed my friends Instant Ocean. It seemed to work well plus its cheap. I have never tried any of the others. But i guess it will be a process of trial, error, and preference.

renogaw

I'll probabl move on from instant ocean. it doesnt have a very good calcium level, although it tested very high in alkalinity.

larryndana

i'm using oceanic, and i've also used io. i've had low cal with io, and high with oceanic....maybe i should just combine them....lol.
i will look into seachems salt, maybe i'll give it a try next time.

T

tizzo

Do you have corals or not??
When I had no corals, any salt worked... When I got some stonies, I switched to Oceanic to maintain the Ca levels. Oh and Magnesium.

earlybird

Originally Posted by Tizzo
Do you have corals or not??
When I had no corals, any salt worked... When I got some stonies, I switched to Oceanic to maintain the Ca levels. Oh and Magnesium.
What are your make up water's calcium levels?

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by earlybird
I tested my Oceanic salt once for calcium and got 520. Might be user error b/c it was my first time using salifert and I don't plan on testing it again until I'm done cycling.
Darthtang what are your levels for oceanic if you don't mind?

I have never had a problem, as long as I mixed it before hand and airiated it 24 hours. What were your alkalinity levels and your PH? Did you test immediately after mixing? There are numerous reasons for something like that. If you mixed it and tested right away I can see why you would have that problem, as the PH hasn't stabilized yet and had a chance to raise, thus affecting your alkalinity level and calcium.

earlybird

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
I have never had a problem, as long as I mixed it before hand and airiated it 24 hours. What were your alkalinity levels and your PH? Did you test immediately after mixing? There are numerous reasons for something like that. If you mixed it and tested right away I can see why you would have that problem, as the PH hasn't stabilized yet and had a chance to raise, thus affecting your alkalinity level and calcium.
Well I actually tested the water in my tank 2 days after beginning my cycle. I really only tested it to try out one of my salifert tests (I'm using seachem for my cycl- amm, trite, pH). Like I mentioned it may be due to "user error" and I didn't bother testing again during my cycle.
Some info about my tank:
29g
45 lbs lr
20 lbs Caribsea Oolite sand
10g sump
ss 65
mag 7
2 mj 400s
Paramaters tested that day:
Time 3 pm
Temp 80.7
SG 1.026
pH 8.0
Amm 0.17
Alk 11.2 dKH
Ca 520
Alk

reefkprz

I like reef crystal as my personal favorite bang for your buck salt. its got levels right about where I need them and its cheap.

chadman

i know it wasn't listed but i use TROPIC MARIN PRO REEF and have been more than happy with the results i have seen!! i used instant ocean and IO reef crystals and none compared with the pro reef

reefkprz

I would sell my soul to get my hands on the "Raw" data from that study. even if it meant sifting through thousands of pages. though the revised and summarized version will be cool.

earlybird

Originally Posted by ophiura
Google: "Borneman salt study"
Though the final data is not out yet...
Yikes I've been reading for 30 mins and theres a ton of chemistry but I'm somewhat following it. Looks as if so far I chose a pretty good salt.