If you had to choose (vacation spot...)

ophiura

Just looking for input on vacation options...if you have experience with these locations, especially if you can compare, please chime in!!!
My likes: I am a biologist, particularly marine, like the outdoors, simple stuff, crafts, photography, hikes, beaches...don't like crowds, high prices, tourist traps, not so much cheap as frugal.
Hubby is a geologist (Canadian), loves mountains, had fun snorkeling last time, hiking, camping, simple stuff, photography...better with people than I am, but still not into flashy stuff.
For example we went to Vegas recently for a conference and were like "uh...!?!?!?" but would have loved to go out to the mountains around the city.

girlina4x4

I picked Costa Rica for you! Ive never been there but my ex-bf had an uncle who owned a resort there and the pics were beautiful! I also have quite a few sufer friends who go there and Nicaragua. There are mountains (for the hubby), and lots of H2O for you! Sure Hawaii and the Bahamas are islands too, but I bet many of your friends/family havent been there. Its unique! And Alaska is just too cold (but hey, you can see Russia)
I went to the Bahamas a few years ago. We went to the Atlantis aquarium which was amazing, and resort was cool as well. We went to Nassau for a day too, that really gave the vibe of what its really like.

ophiura

We had a Costa Rican vacation planned with a timeshare company but it was canceled like 3 days before!!!!
I am a fan of the Bahamas, though I would stay on the smaller islands and not near Nassau or Grand Bahama personally. My general preference is always the Bahamas because i feel like I know it...and the completely unfamiliar is not a strong point of mine.
Costa Rica would be Pacific side...I'm not sure if the snorkeling in particular is great on the Pacific side. But the jungles and such would be very cool.
Alaska is beautiful, the glaciers and such would be appealing...

al mc

Of the four choices I have not been on an Alaskan cruise. Done the other three. From your description of what you like I think Costa Rica would give you the most 'natural' feel. While tourism is growing it is still fairly unspoiled. It has mountains and beaches and gives you a 'good bang for your buck'. I have not been for years but family who traveled there about a year ago report it to still be the way I remember it.

stdreb27

you could do puerto rico too. Since it is our island you have the whole latin culture with american infrastructure. Personally if you like rocks, there is nothing like the mountains. I've never seen anyone so excited around rocks then driving around the rockies with a geologist. EVERY single exploded cutout, we would stop and look at the shape of the rocks. It is FUNNY seeing these guys go nuts about the ground. Look at this uplift, or this dike, this rock has beautiful cleavage. I learned a LOT it was a lot of fun. NH has some cool stuff to look at to, the pecos wilderness is pretty much a wilderness and not so much turisty. So is Big Bend. Canoe down the rio grand. I also love the hill country....

-tara33-

Bahamas, i have a friend that went there and they have been EVERYWHERE, they said it would be there first choice to go back anywhere they have been!

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by -Tara33-
http:///forum/post/2890457
Bahamas, i have a friend that went there and they have been EVERYWHERE, they said it would be there first choice to go back anywhere they have been!
bali>hawaii>bahamas.. but bahamas is definitely better than the US and British Virgin Islands.

-tara33-

i was joking, its all i hear about from ppl that have been, im not close to it, it cant be that good....can it?

jemshores

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2890262
you could do puerto rico too. Since it is our island you have the whole latin culture with american infrastructure. Personally if you like rocks, there is nothing like the mountains. I've never seen anyone so excited around rocks then driving around the rockies with a geologist. EVERY single exploded cutout, we would stop and look at the shape of the rocks. It is FUNNY seeing these guys go nuts about the ground. Look at this uplift, or this dike, this rock has beautiful cleavage. I learned a LOT it was a lot of fun. NH has some cool stuff to look at to, the pecos wilderness is pretty much a wilderness and not so much turisty. So is Big Bend. Canoe down the rio grand. I also love the hill country....
I agree with Puerto Rico, been there a few times. If you did not like Vegas, Bahamas is not for you. Costa Rico? Have a friend there that runs/owns an eco lodge and HE loves it! BUT-the unexplored parts of the country ( where you and hubby would want to go)are dangerous-really. Alaska? that might be fun, do the train trip thru Denali, etc, just don't do the cruise-boring. And Hawaii, if you know someone there, particularly a native, you can get to some real kool places, otherwise, its still a tourist trap. PR is awesome, flying fishing in the rain forest, to remote beach access on the Caribbean, to quaint fishing villages, rent a car and GO! No money or language barriers but you feel like you are a world away! We felt like we were in Jurasic Park (southern part of the island) REALLY! If you decide on PR let me know and will draw you up an itinerary!

zsqure

When you're on the west coast you could do Disneyland, then down to the Aquarium of the Pacific, there is a scripps place to go to and some others, My mother lives in Rancho Mirage and we visit every year If I could get a job out there making a comparable income you wouldn't have to ask twice. Lots of vacation spots in the USA to see and you don't have to worry about drinking the water, eating the food, it's all here!

crimzy

I voted for the Alaskan cruise. Actually, if I had 10 votes, I'd place them all there. Tropical vacations are what they are... they are cool, you can snorkel, scuba, kayak, whatever. Laying on the beach, etc is fine but those trips will be carbon copies of a hundred vacations you've taken in your life. Alaska, on the other hand, is a completely unique experience. Some of the highlights of my trip included horseback riding through the rainforest (looking for bears), catching salmon that was prepared for dinner that evening, exploring the glaciers. There were other things that I didn't do, including kayaking, helicopter ride to the top of the glacier, etc.
Don't go to Alaska if you want to get a nice tan. But it is a trip that you HAVE to go on at some point. It's kind of like comparing a trip to Africa with trip to Florida. Definitely go with the Alaskan cruise.