I'M BACK!!! :-) (but with questions as always)

fishgirl

Hey guys! I haven't been on the boards for like months now, but I've been really busy setting up my new 75 FOWLR!
It's got 75lbs of fiji live rock, 80lbs of nature's ocean live sand, a couple rio powerheards, smartlight power compacts, and a Prizm skimmer.
Ok. When I first got the skimmer it leaked because the O-ring was slack. So, while I waited for Red Sea to send me a replacement by mail, I ran with the rock, sand, water, lights, and powerheads. I belive the tank has cycled already w/o the skimmer (havn't tested yest) b/c I see thick brown algea everywhere. So tonight I finally replaced the O-ring and the leak is fixed. But when I run the skimmer the foam that comes into the collection cup is mostly water and it fills up in like five minutes. I've tried all kinds of adjustments of the flow regulator, but nothing works, and the troubleshooting manual dosn't help. If anyone knows the fine art of adjusting a Prizm PLEASE let me know!!
My other question is this: I've never seen live rock before execpt in photos until now (I mail ordered it) but isn't there supposed to be a little color on the rocks even when it's first been shipped? My rock seemed rather dead when I got it, does all rock spring back to life after the cycle's over and the skimmer adjusts and the cleanup crew is introduced? I hope the company didn't give me bad rock - It did have some reds and purples but now with the brown it seems all rock and brown. Did I get bad stuff?
Thanks in advance!

dfimble

Only if you are lucky will your live rock actually contain corals. Most of the rock that I have purchased had nothing. Out of 450 pounds, I had: 2 worms, a polyp, and several snails. The rock will grow and change color with time. Mine is now a deep purple to pink, with patches of bright lime green.

b_ball12_99

I had 2.5 pounds of fugi in my 5 gallon and only got a few feather dusters and of course bristles and pods. I have 100 pounds of lr (Yahoooo!!!!) in my 75 gallon that is gulf. I got 2 different kinds of snails from them, bristles, pods, several different worms, tons of different colored feathers, sponges, and other seaweed type plants. I am very satisfied with it. When I juiced the power up on my Berlin hang on the collection cup filled with dirty water in a few hours. As dirty as it was I was happy. Juiced it down for the night and it hasn't filled with water since I slowly turned it back up. Only bubbles and dirt go to the collection cup now which looks uglier because the stuff gets on the side and dries. Try turing the power and air flow down some and see how it does.

mr . salty

Although I don't own a prizm,I have seen,and talked to many owners.And the way to start them is with the water flow and the air turned all the way down.Then after a week or so(breakin) start slowly turning the air up.But leave the water at it's lowest setting...

sangysc

It tok my Prizm a coupla' weeks before it began running efficiently. At the start, I had to run the water valve at "BARELY open", but over the course of several weeks, I've been able to ever-so-slightly, but consis-tently, increase the water flow without in-creasing the loss of water into the col-lection cup (as you say that you experi-enced). Overall, I'm very pleased with the Prizm, and I think you'll be pleased as well . . . just be patient!!
SangySC

fishgirl

Thanks everyone! Where is the adjustment for air flow on the skimmer? I've already tried adjusting the water flow all diff ways.
I did not mean corals or animals, I ment corraline algea. There's like zero. Will it still grow? :eek:

fishgirl

And yet another question! :rolleyes:
The 80lbs of live sand makes about a 3" layer. Does this count as a dsb that should not be disturbed, or just a covering substrate that I need to get detritivores to sift and clean? thanks, and PLEASE relpy if you have any remote idea of what I'm talking about! :)

dburr

A DSB should be min. 4" deep.
As for the prizm, the only adjustment is the gate on top where the water is sucked in. The gate should be left to right not front to back. This is the lowest setting. Also the hose should be in the right

[hr]
on the collection cup. This is the side that pulls in the air. Slowly turn(either way)the gate until you see foam rise in the chamber.
What I did is turn it until foam bubbled over
into the collection cup, and then backed it off. Check it first every 15-30 mins. to make sure it doesn't bubble over. adjust accordingly until you find the right medium.
good luck :)

fishgirl

Thanks, I think I finally got it going! :)
So since it's not a DSB, do I need detritivores and sifters? (ie stars, cucumbers, burrowing snails etc..)

dburr

4" dsb is because the way it reduces nitrates. Try a search, its hard to explain. You need the critters in any substate you use. lol

flydan

Hey,
I agree that you need a minimum of 4" of sand. As far as your lr goes, it will take a while to get going. I've had mine for several months and gets more and more colorful all the time. I've also seen some new stuff growing on it that wasn't there a month ago such as sponges and dusters. Even my base rock is starting to get coraline algae on it.
Dan'l