I'm bored - breeding Flame Angels and Yellow Tangs

candycane

Starting in mid-Fall, I think I might try breeding Flame Angels and Yellow Tangs. Any other requests? I only want to breed two fish; but would like to see if there is any other ideas for "breeding fish" besides these two?

candycane

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/2732740
I have heard of breeding canary blennys. wonder if you could do midas blennys too.
Most Blennies are fairly easy to breed, same thing with most gobies. I MIGHT breed BlueSpot Jawfish. But I don't think I would deal with Canary Blennies at all (assuming we are talking about Meiacanthus oualanensis). I just can't imagine sticking my hand in the tank with the possibility of getting stung by hundreds of babies, LOL. I am considering Imperator Angelfish, but I would imagine that might take a MASSIVE amount of tank room.

jaymz

Originally Posted by candycane
http:///forum/post/2732755
But I don't think I would deal with Canary Blennies at all (assuming we are talking about Meiacanthus oualanensis). I just can't imagine sticking my hand in the tank with the possibility of getting stung by hundreds of babies, LOL. .
SISSY!

I do think the Flame angel and Yellow tang is honestly the best 2 candidates. They are very popular in the hobby, you would not have a problem moving the babies, and it would help the wild population. Another good one would be the Blue hippo tang.

candycane

Originally Posted by SrgVigil
http:///forum/post/2732789
Aren't flame angels suppose to be extremely hard to breed and rear the young?
Don't really know yet. I am going to do MUCH reading into it over the next few days. I MIGHT try Hippo Tangs or some sort of other tang.

srgvigil

a book I would suggest you read is
"The Complete illustrated breeders guide to marine aquarium fishes" by Mathew L. Wittenrich

candycane

Yellow Bellies just look too much like Hippos to me. What about maybe Kole Yellow Eyes or Blue Eyed Tangs?
I don't know if there are a lot of people breeding tangs. I just read about their natural environment and egg laying patterns in the wild. Some fish you can induce spawning on. I think even (I could be wrong) most fish excrete a hormone saying they are ready to breed - issue is finding that gland and extracting the chemicals.

srgvigil

Theres a chapter in the book about the difficultys of breeding angels and tangs. Ill read it today and post on it tonight

jaymz

Originally Posted by candycane
http:///forum/post/2733176
Yellow Bellies just look too much like Hippos to me. What about maybe Kole Yellow Eyes or Blue Eyed Tangs?
yellow belly is a blue hippo. its just a rare colormorph that are more difficult to find in the hobby so in turn usually sell for well over $100, unlike the average $30-$50 for the regualr hippos.
Kole tang would be a good one. Nice aglea grazer. I would just try to do popular fishes. No point in breeding a fish only a few people really want.
ya know like whale sharks.. things like that I wouldnt waste my time on

candycane

That's what i'm saying. I don't really see a point to breeding Yellow Bellies because they look fairly common only with a mutation in color.

mscarpena

I have never heard of anyone breeding tangs or angel fish. There are captive reared ones available, but they are not tank raised. Captive reared mean they go out in the ocean and remove the baby fish past there larval stage and raise them in a tank. The best that I know of it is almost impossible to raised angel fish. There eggs are free floating and will be removed by all skimming and filtration. Also there larval stage is very long and they are very small requiring food smaller than the SW small strain of rotifers. My research is a few years old, but marine biologist could not even do it a few years back. Not trying to burst your bubble or anything just trying to help you out and save you some time. I am not sure, but I think tangs are similar. Good luck

groupergenius

Candycane, I say go for the big $$ fish. Try some Black Tangs or way better....Genicanthus Personatus. Be successful and quit the day job. But keep up on the clams, I need to get some from ya.

I may be turning my new frag tank into a combo frag tank and Yellowhead Jawfish breeder.

candycane

Funny thing is that the Flame Angels are NOT the ones that I am worried about. As far as I am concerned there is no such thing as a problem or obstacle that can't be overcome, only equations that result in solutions.
I am pretty sure I am going with Purple Tangs and Mimic Yellow Tangs. I might get a 4th tank and try to breed Flameback or Lemon Peel Angels too (one or the other).

fmarini

actually tang breed is pretty frequently accomplished in public aquarium. Most large gallonage public aquaria report mass spawning of their tangs frequently. Thats the problem w/ tangs, large vertical spawning accessions and mass spawning.
Oh the next problem appears to the the fry, but thats more readily solvable.
So for those interested in breeding tangs, get a job at a public aquarium and scoop out the spawn before it gets chopped up in the filters.
AS for centropyge angels fish, like flame angels -these have been done before (google frank Baensch and ReefCultureTechnologies (RCT)), however, you'll need to figure out how to get 100's to market for a reasonable price. As currently only a few are raised from each batch, and one has to sell these fish for hundreds of dollars/ea