I'm confused : /

prctrigger

I recently set up a 12 gallon nano tank . After 2 weeks later , brown algae is growing on the wall of the tank and on the live sand . ( I have 30 lb Fiji live sand) .
Do I stir the sand or leave it alone ?

hot883

It's called "diatoms". DO NOT EVER stir up the sand. it will go away in a couple of weeks. Welcome to the boards by the way.
Barry

prctrigger

Thanks for the reply . Should I clean the wall of the tank since it has brown algae ?
by the way , my 2 damsels inside the tank always stay on the top corner of the tank . why ?

hot883

Originally Posted by Prctrigger
Thanks for the reply . Should I clean the wall of the tank since it has brown algae ?
by the way , my 2 damsels inside the tank always stay on the top corner of the tank . why ?
You should not be cycling a tank with damsels. And yes you can scrub off the walls.
Coral Fish hawaii still open?

prctrigger

yeah , Coral fish Hawaii is still open . Its cheap over there .
wait , so I shouldn't put any damsels in it ?
So I will let it cycle without any fishes ?
I put some Chaetomorphia inside the filter. How do I know if its dead or not ?

hot883

Cycling with fish is a cruel and outdated method.
My first tanks were stocked with CFH fish and of course they were no help, sell cheap , keep em coming back mentality. I killed alot of fish in the beginning 20 years ago. Underground filter, not mixing salt water correctly, morish idols etc. etc.
Man how things have changed.
I donn't understand the question of "how do I know if it is dead or not"?

prctrigger

Oh , I mean I put Chaetomorphia inside the filter and I don't know if its dead or not . haha
brown algae is growing in my 2 years old 55 gallon . Its growing in the sand and on the wall of the tank . So , I don't have to stir the sand right ?

hot883

Originally Posted by Prctrigger
Oh , I mean I put Chaetomorphia inside the filter and I don't know if its dead or not . haha
brown algae is growing in my 2 years old 55 gallon . Its growing in the sand and on the wall of the tank . So , I don't have to stir the sand right ?
No definately do not stir the sand. If you are have a diatom bloom in a 2 year old tank, i would lean towards high phosphates, lack of flow OR the light bulbs are way over due to be changed.

rbrockm1

diatoms only ever came in my tank when i used tap and well water. But when i switched to RO i haven't seen it untill i had somebody what my tank and top off with tap water. and lil bit came back but i did a water change. its going away now