I'm Cycling a 150 Gallon Tank Help I'm new

sthlts

I am new to saltwater. I am setting up a 150 gallon tank and have 150 lbs of live sand and 200 lbs of live rock. On the first cycle how often do I have to do water changes and when do I worry the ammonia levels are to high.

cedarreef

well, you don't really need to worry about ammonia being too high when in a cycle. Are you cycling by the LR curing in the tank? For water changes, I would do a 5% every week or 2.

gatorwpb

Actually they say that an ammonia level above 1.0 is too high because it will kill off any life that is on the live rock, and you get some very beneficial hitchhikers on the LR, brittle stars, worms, etc.
So if you test your ammonia and it gets to 1.5 or 2, Id do a 20% water change or so to keep the levels from getting too high.

sthlts

I might be using the wrong term "cycling" i have had the tank tank up and running for about a week i did a ammonia test 4-5 ppm I am going to do a 25% water change in a few minutes. I have 400 lbs of LR and 150 lbs of sand. I am keeping the water at 1.022 any other thoughts on starting a tank? Here are a few pics

novahobbies

Wow, that's one way to start with saltwater -- jump right in!
OK, first thing's first, how much have you read up on saltwater tanks? You're in the right place for a lot of great advice.....go the the section for beginning aquarists, and there's quite a few excellent sticky threads for you to go through. I strongly advise you read them.
Now, before we even get to cycling, may I ask a couple questions? First, I see that you have an overflow and what appears to be a sump set up. That's great! But, why is the protein skimmer not hanging off of the sump? Part of the beauty of a sump is that you can hide all the crap that you would normally have hanging off the tank -- heaters, skkimmers, hob filters....everything can go down there! If that skimmer won't fit in the sump, you may want to consider getting another model. In fact, you may wish to do that anyway: I don't own that one, but I've heard people complaining about its effectiveness. I'll let others chime in on that subject.
Second question I have for you regards your light. Again, looks like you have a great light for your setup......3 metal halides, looks like? But....WTF do you have them sitting on?? Is that a 2x4 just sitting across the tank? When I saw this, I have to admit my ass clenched a little here! Imagine what would happen if someone knocked against the tank, and the wood flipped over....there goes the light, into the tank! I hope I'm overreacting here, but if those 2x4's aren't secured in some fashion, find another way of suspending your lights please! You'd be heartbroken if that crashed into the tank, killing the fish.....
All right, thanks for listening to my worries. As for your cycle: yes, that's the word. Your cycle "conditions" the tank by building up colonies of nitrifying bacteria. This way, ammonia in the tank will be converted to nitrite, the nitrite will convert to nitrate, and the nitrate will be broken down into nitrogen which escapes freely. But you probably knew that already. If your ammonia is as high as you say, then yes, you're definitely deep into the first stages of the cycle. What did you use to kick off the cycle -- was it the die-off from the live rock, or did you use a shrimp.....?
You should definitely do a water change. The ammonia doesn't have to be THAT high. Now you just need to continue watching the levels for nitrite....that one should begin to rise as ammonia drops. Next, a high nirite reading will begin to drop, and nitrate will begin to register. When your amm. and nitrite levels have dropped to 0, do a decent water change and test for at least another week.
Oh, and most people recommend that you keep the protein skimmer OFF during the cycle.
Well, that should answer your question a little. Remember, don't be afraid to ask questions on this site....people here are really helpful, and there are quite a few very experienced hobbyists who are willing to lend a hand. Good luck!

oceanlover

Where did you get your rock from? It's really nice! Hopefully some the plants and critters won't die in the cycle.

rotarymagic

No offense, but that doesn't really look like 400lbs of liverock, you sure it was weighed? 400lbs would be too much for that tank anyhow, I just hope you didn't get ripped off.
I personally don't change any water in a tank while it cycles until it stabilizes to nitrates at 0 after nitrites and ammonia zero out. I would run the skimmer for extra oxygenation as it will speed up a cycle. Don't ghost feed or throw any shrimp in there if you already have ammonia.
What is your pH, alk, temp, salinity?

deejeff442

i have a 150 gallon and the rock i have looks like the same amount and i only have 110 lbs and also the sand looks more like crushed corals.
sure we are looking at the right tank?
still the live rock is some nice looking stuff .
i would do a 25% water change every week till ammonia is 0
put alot of powerheads in there to move the water and keep the heater on.

sthlts

yes i have to admit those are 2x4's holding the lights up but thats nonly because the legs for the light didn't come in the order they will be here tomorow. I have all of the heaters/protein skimmer currently in the tank because durring the start up I wanted to have the ability to get to them easily and make sure the are functioning correctly.
As for the lighting I bought it new off of ---- for 589.00 it has 3-250 Watt 15,000K HQI Metal Halide bulbs, 4-96 Watt 03 Actinics, 16 (8 dual) LED moonlights. I think it was a good buy?.
I do need help with the protein skinner I think the model I have is crap but that is what newbies buy crap and then buy the right thing the second time. Any thought on one that it is good for a 150 tank?
I'm about to run all of my water tests i'll post them later to see what everyone thinks.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by sthlts
http:///forum/post/2807187
yes i have to admit those are 2x4's holding the lights up but thats nonly because the legs for the light didn't come in the order they will be here tomorow. I have all of the heaters/protein skimmer currently in the tank because durring the start up I wanted to have the ability to get to them easily and make sure the are functioning correctly.
As for the lighting I bought it new off of ---- for 589.00 it has 3-250 Watt 15,000K HQI Metal Halide bulbs, 4-96 Watt 03 Actinics, 16 (8 dual) LED moonlights. I think it was a good buy?.
I do need help with the protein skinner I think the model I have is crap but that is what newbies buy crap and then buy the right thing the second time. Any thought on one that it is good for a 150 tank?
I'm about to run all of my water tests i'll post them later to see what everyone thinks.

Hopefully the ballasts and fixtures are good... sounds alittle cheap.

sthlts

alright I did a water change yesterday and here are the stats of the tank today
Alk 2.4-2.8
Ammonia 3.0
Nitrite .2
Nitrate 5
i didnt another 25% water change after these readings. any thought on getting the ammonia at 1.5 or less durring the cycle?