I'm going to kill a few fish this weekend......

novahobbies

Saturday morning I intend to go to a store, buy a couple dozen four to five-inch fish, put them all together in a container that's far to small for them (and poorly aerated to boot), then I'll proceed to remove them, one by one, jab a hook through their mouth, and fling them at the end of the line into what I truly hope will be the lion's den of redfish and seatrout. If all goes as planned, I will kill as many of them as I can and use them to kill and eat larger fish.
I was caught in the act of committing this very crime only two weeks ago, also. While I was skewering a finger mullet, it occurred to me that I have a serious double standard going on here. How can I treat baitfish so cavalierly, when I go absolutely nuts about the water quality, nutrition, and health of the animals I keep in a glass box at my home? I pondered my double life as I heaved this poor finned soul out into the murky water by a mangrove island. I started to feel a little bad about it, and wondered if this really should be a pastime of those of us who, like me, love to keep aquariums at home.
A few minutes into this moral dilemma, I got a great tug on the line, and within moments had a beautiful redfish alongside the boat. Whatever moral quagmire I was wading through had pretty much evaporated after that first strike. I guess I'm just a bad, bad man. (BTW, redfish was outside the legal limit, so back into the brine he went.)
So....who here likes to fish?

novahobbies

Yup, I remember that pic from the faces thread. I said it there, and I'll say it here......Nice Catch. I don't agree with your mantra, though. I like to fish light and ultralight spinning gear personally. I've done a little freshwater flyfishing for bass and sunfish, and once or twice some saltwater flyfishing but that's it. I'm not very good at it; I feel like I'm blindly whipping the water.

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/389364/im-going-to-kill-a-few-fish-this-weekend#post_3440859
Yup, I remember that pic from the faces thread. I said it there, and I'll say it here......Nice Catch. I don't agree with your mantra, though. I like to fish light and ultralight spinning gear personally. I've done a little freshwater flyfishing for bass and sunfish, and once or twice some saltwater flyfishing but that's it. I'm not very good at it; I feel like I'm blindly whipping the water.
Don't worry, the "mantra" is said in jest....I'm a hardware chucker at times too...

snakeblitz33

I love to fish. But I'm not good at it. I go once or twice a year. I mostly fish off the docks or on the edge of a pond. I don't have or have access to a boat.

cipher43

Nice fish

I have been wanting one of these threads around so i could post some fish pics for some time now so here I go.
here is one of my big fish for the year. we go to northern Minnesota and just slaughterd the bigger snakes this year
8.5 Lbs Northern Pike that looks small but was quite thick

Another 8.5 ish fish i got this year

7Lbs and a 5Lbs. My sister and her boyfriend at the time. As you can tell by his expression, he wasn't happy to be out fished lol. Also that was his first pike he caught

My wife's first walleye in Minnesota.(shes been going now for eight years LMAO) we were so happy she broke her streak and especially with this fish.

This was a pic of probably our best catch day for us. We had to take two different pictures because these were all kept from my boat which had my wife, my sister and I in it. The rest of the family was in the other boat and did just about as well lol.

gemmy

I do not fish and I do not consume seafood. I find seafood very gross and it makes me vomit when I attempt to eat it. I also get hives when I eat it.

darthtang aw

I do not fish and I do not consume seafood. I find seafood very gross and it makes me vomit when I attempt to eat it. I also get hives when I eat it. 
you have deep psycological issues from childhood, don't you?
darth (deep fried) Tang

2quills

Good luck. It's gonna be a full moon on saturday so it should be a good time to go. My old man was down visiting last week and we went out to the local pier, caught a handful of whiting, perch, and a skipjack. No reds, trout or shark though unfortunately.
Damn u, Slice and your tarpon. I'm gonna hook one eventually. Nice fish.

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/389364/im-going-to-kill-a-few-fish-this-weekend#post_3440956
Good luck. It's gonna be a full moon on saturday so it should be a good time to go. My old man was down visiting last week and we went out to the local pier, caught a handful of whiting, perch, and a skipjack. No reds, trout or shark though unfortunately.
I'd never knock whiting. Delicious!

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/389364/im-going-to-kill-a-few-fish-this-weekend#post_3440956
which pier? I haven't gone in a few weeks, missed fishing for flounder thanks to dang work...

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher43 http:///t/389364/im-going-to-kill-a-few-fish-this-weekend#post_3440944
Nice fish

I have been wanting one of these threads around so i could post some fish pics for some time now so here I go.
here is one of my big fish for the year. we go to northern Minnesota and just slaughterd the bigger snakes this year
8.5 Lbs Northern Pike that looks small but was quite thick
Another 8.5 ish fish i got this year
7Lbs and a 5Lbs. My sister and her boyfriend at the time. As you can tell by his expression, he wasn't happy to be out fished lol. Also that was his first pike he caught
My wife's first walleye in Minnesota.(shes been going now for eight years LMAO) we were so happy she broke her streak and especially with this fish.
This was a pic of probably our best catch day for us. We had to take two different pictures because these were all kept from my boat which had my wife, my sister and I in it. The rest of the family was in the other boat and did just about as well lol.
Nice catches!
I have not caught a northern, the only pike down hear are Chain Pickerel. They don't get nearly as big, but they *think* they are the terror of the deep.
Nor have I caught a Walleye. There are a few lakes in the western part of the state that have them.

slice

Quote:
Speaking of piers, do you guys get False Albacore? aka Little Tuney aka footballs? Try one of those on 8lb line

Damn me for tarpon you say? Actually, that is the smallest one I've caught but the best pic I have of one.
You can also damn me for Steelhead (Pierre Marquette river in Mich)

teresaq

oh trout, I miss trout. lol my family were big fly fisherman yrs and yrs ago. Just about every weekend was spent on the trout stream. I could even tie a usable fly lol