I'm moving and need some ideas for moving my tanks.

zoie2

I have a 12 gal and a 6 gal. Only 2 fish and a cleaner shrimp, a variety of snails and crabs. Not much LR and not many corals.
I have a 3 hr drive to new house. What is the best way to move eveyone?
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoie2 http:///t/390684/im-moving-and-need-some-ideas-for-moving-my-tanks#post_3461101
I have a 12 gal and a 6 gal. Only 2 fish and a cleaner shrimp, a variety of snails and crabs. Not much LR and not many corals.
I have a 3 hr drive to new house. What is the best way to move eveyone?
Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
If you can set the tank up ahead of time would be the best way...otherwise. Don't putz with the tank until you are ready to go.
Save some of the water in jugs....have lots of extra water made up and ready. 5g jugs are great for this.
Put the critters all in seperate bags. transfer in tubs. Have the car warm and ready to go. Put the rocks in a container and put damp with saltwater paper towels over them. Put all the sand in buckets. Move it all at once as fast as possible...release the fish and inverts into tubs with airlines (no stone) reset the tanks and after all is ready...transfer the fish acclimating like they just came from the store.
3 hours if the rock is kept damp should pose no problems...rinsing the sand in saltwater will help make sure no toxins will release into the new tank water....run some carbon media too just to be sure.

zoie2

I could move all my rock and critters from my 6 gal to my 12 gal. Then I could bring my 6 gal to the new house and set it up.
Then they would have a nice clean, warm tank to aclimate to. The six gal should hold everyone (2 clowns and a cleaner shrimp) while I set up the 12 gal.
I have had my 12 gal maybe 8 yrs and my 6 gal for 3. They are well established, but I'm thinking that breaking them down like this and stirring up the sand will cause them to recycle.

Anyone see any problems?

zoie2

I'll do that then, bring the 6 gal up first, instead of moving them both at the same time. My husband says I should keep the sand in the tank when I move it, keeping enough water in there to cover the sand. I don't know about that. We moved about 3 yrs ago, but it was just next door. That's what we did then for my 12 gal. and then he just carried it over with the sand and some water still in it. I guess we'll figure that out when it actually comes time to move them, which isn't until Aug.