I'm new,.. anything wrong w/ this picture?

phliguy

Hi Everybody
Been enjoying the information here that seems to be abundant and freely given.
I installed a 225 gallon tank in a wall to be flush from the living room side and all the work will take place from the back side which happens to double as a study.
I had the house plumbed for the tank with drains in the slab underneath the tank etc.,.. The plumbers used this space to bring other pipes up into this area(in the center area) to make connections that left me without the possibility of putting 1 sump big enough to handle the amount of water that comes down when the pumps are shutoff.
So I had to put 2 sumps, 1 left and 1 right of protruding piping. Without going into the previous plumbing fiascoes,. I'll just let you know where we are now(we is me and a friend that a fish store told me about who has been helping me although trial and error somewhat) all water leaves the aquarium through a 4 " black plastic pipe through the bottom of the aquarium draining into left sump through filter media and 1.5" bulkhead out to the iwaki 70 to power Aquakinetics protein skimmer downdraft type (new off ----,..Look if you get a chance and tell me what you think,.it has 4 downdraft tubes) I've mounted this skimmer wall to wall with the right sump so that the drain water from the skimmer flows into the right sump.
Water leaves right sump 1.5" bulkhead to little giant 5.5 to push water up to top of canopy where said water is distributed through 2 3/4 sea swirl rotating fixtures.
There is also a 1.5" PVC flex pipe that inter connects the 2 sumps so that when
pumps are off they will balance out and will hold all water from aquarium, this also fixes any imbalance as far as having two different type pumps while there running.
This setup as far as plumbing seems to work except a few little problems like excess bubbles from skimmer getting sucked into
delivery pump and getting into tank etc.,...Things that I can solve later.
I also have 320 lbs of live rock,live sand,calcium reactor, ozone generator,aquadyne 3000 system, 1/2 hp chiller, 3 250 watt 12000k
metal halide and 6 6 ft vho with ice cap ballast.
I'm in the process now of plumbing 2 50 gallon barrels upstairs in an air-conditioned room for ro/di water for water changes from one barrel and kalkwasser on the other with distribution draining to tank via PVC on demand from aquarium room controls as needed.
I've put in snails and red legged crabs and am having a pretty good time just watching these fellers go around the tank.
Although I'm seeing a lot of shells that the snails were in now empty and on the bottom of the tank ,that has me worried a little.
Am putting in Coral Vital daily as directions state and am getting ready for livestock soon,.....although I'm now scared after reading some of the problems posted here,.. guess I'll take it slower than anticipated!!
The last batch of rock has been in for at least a month,.... and still have not calibrated the probes for the Aquadyne equipment as yet,.....
Thought I'd fill you all in on the setup so when I start putting in coral and fish you'll be able to keep me on the right track,...
Phil
p.s. Sorry for all the rambling,... been plumbing all day.

[hr]

chuck

If your turbos or astreas fall of the glass or rock they can die within 24 hours if not turned over. Also take time acclimating you snails to your water even though they are inexpensive--they are very sensitive to water changes.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, what a setup! Just consider the need to cycle this tank before getting to heavy into stocking. Also, with all that you've invested in this, you must now SERIOUSLY consider setting up a quarentine tank before adding fish. You've done everything else, so don't leave this very important element out.
Good luck!

psjusa

Sounds good except the 6 6 ft VHO's sound a bit excessive-you are just asking for algea to grow!

snails falling and not being turned over is right. Also red and blue legged crabs will attack eachother to steal their shells I see it all the time so you will see alot of empty shells. It's part of the ocean world. Your tank sounds like a great set-up enjoy.
Originally posted by phliguy:
Hi Everybody
Been enjoying the information here that seems to be abundant and freely given.
I installed a 225 gallon tank in a wall to be flush from the living room side and all the work will take place from the back side which happens to double as a study.
I had the house plumbed for the tank with drains in the slab underneath the tank etc.,.. The plumbers used this space to bring other pipes up into this area(in the center area) to make connections that left me without the possibility of putting 1 sump big enough to handle the amount of water that comes down when the pumps are shutoff.
So I had to put 2 sumps, 1 left and 1 right of protruding piping. Without going into the previous plumbing fiascoes,. I'll just let you know where we are now(we is me and a friend that a fish store told me about who has been helping me although trial and error somewhat) all water leaves the aquarium through a 4 " black plastic pipe through the bottom of the aquarium draining into left sump through filter media and 1.5" bulkhead out to the iwaki 70 to power Aquakinetics protein skimmer downdraft type (new off ----,..Look if you get a chance and tell me what you think,.it has 4 downdraft tubes) I've mounted this skimmer wall to wall with the right sump so that the drain water from the skimmer flows into the right sump.
Water leaves right sump 1.5" bulkhead to little giant 5.5 to push water up to top of canopy where said water is distributed through 2 3/4 sea swirl rotating fixtures.
There is also a 1.5" PVC flex pipe that inter connects the 2 sumps so that when
pumps are off they will balance out and will hold all water from aquarium, this also fixes any imbalance as far as having two different type pumps while there running.
This setup as far as plumbing seems to work except a few little problems like excess bubbles from skimmer getting sucked into
delivery pump and getting into tank etc.,...Things that I can solve later.
I also have 320 lbs of live rock,live sand,calcium reactor, ozone generator,aquadyne 3000 system, 1/2 hp chiller, 3 250 watt 12000k
metal halide and 6 6 ft vho with ice cap ballast.
I'm in the process now of plumbing 2 50 gallon barrels upstairs in an air-conditioned room for ro/di water for water changes from one barrel and kalkwasser on the other with distribution draining to tank via PVC on demand from aquarium room controls as needed.
I've put in snails and red legged crabs and am having a pretty good time just watching these fellers go around the tank.
Although I'm seeing a lot of shells that the snails were in now empty and on the bottom of the tank ,that has me worried a little.
Am putting in Coral Vital daily as directions state and am getting ready for livestock soon,.....although I'm now scared after reading some of the problems posted here,.. guess I'll take it slower than anticipated!!
The last batch of rock has been in for at least a month,.... and still have not calibrated the probes for the Aquadyne equipment as yet,.....
Thought I'd fill you all in on the setup so when I start putting in coral and fish you'll be able to keep me on the right track,...
Phil
p.s. Sorry for all the rambling,... been plumbing all day.

dennish

The only thing I see wrong with this set-up is...
that it's not mine!!!

Sorry, envy, greed and selfishness all just had a head on collision with reality!

phliguy

Not sure of the amount that it set me back,.. i'm afraid to add it up (ife wa, ay ma, e ba, atching wa!!) The 6-6ft bulbs were
the first lights that i bought then i found out about the metal halide and am being told that i may need to take out at least 2 of the vho to keep the wattage down somewhat.
Tanks for all the positive comments on my setup,.. i just wish i had all the knowledge that you guys allready have,.. i guess everyone has to start somewhere!!
Phil
anyone seen the aquakinetics(not aquanetics)
skimmers that have been selling on ----?
I got one and was wondering what you think about it4 downdrafts like the ets quad 1800 i believe.
Phil

bobsingh1

WOW!!! good setup. Sounds like you have overdone it but hey... its your dough. I am thinking of a similar setup when I have my own house which will be pretty soon. Just one question ? How much did the plumbers charge you. I kind of have a good idea as to how much you have spent on other stuff.

chessie

Hey, DennisH -
Now, I've seen the smiley faces @ the end of posts but just how did you get that funky purple one w/the kraaaazy eyes?????? Do share . Ches

dennish

Originally posted by Chessie:
Hey, DennisH -
Now, I've seen the smiley faces @ the end of posts but just how did you get that funky purple one w/the kraaaazy eyes?????? Do share . Ches

When you compose or reply to a message, you will notice to the left of the space you are typing in a link titled Smiles Legends
, click on that to see the "codes"
[This message has been edited by DennisH (edited 05-23-2000).]