Im new here

thor

My name is thor Im new to this site and this hobby. I basically have no clue as to whats going on. So now my question, I am planning on getting a 50g FOWLR tank I want to know what I will need. Also what is a refugium and what does live sand do. I've heard that I need a rufugium but I dont know what it does. What got me interested in this hobby is when I lived in florida I went diving and loved the ocean but when I moved here I wanted to take some ocean with me. Im sorry if I ask too many ?s but Im a newbie so I dont know anything( although I will do tons of research!)
Happy fish keeping! :D

oldest salt

Hi Thor
Welcome to the message board.
My suggestion is that you buy several books on the subject of reef keeping and read them. Many of your questions will be answered and new ones will come to mind. Many of your basic questions have been answered countless times on this MB. So, if you are willing to "do tons of research", you can begin by searching the titles of the various threads here and gain much knowledge.
Authers and titles I recommend would be: "Live Sand Secrets" by Bob Goemans, "The REEF Aquarium" Vol I & II by Delbeek & Sprung, "Natural Reef Aquariums" by Tullick, "Moe's Marine Aquarium Handbook" by Martin Moe and others.
If you are truely bitten by the bug you will find these books fasinating reading and very informative. LOL.
The Oldest Salt

option720

I suggest that you go to Saltwaterfish.com and go to the "informatin for Hobbyist" There is a lot of good free info on setting up a tank. Good luck and don't be afraid to ever ask a question on this board.