I'm opinion shopping again...live rock questions

marinegrl

:help:
Haven't been on the site for a while, but my tank has been running really well. I downgraded big time a month or so ago and now have two smaller tanks (freshwater 10 gallon, marine 20 gallon). I've got happy go lucky marble fan-tail goldfish in my mum's freshwater tank and (don't everyone jumped down my throat) a couple damsels and a clarkii clownfish-they get along terrifically. My questions are as follows; is my tank too small to change into a live rock type? I've been reading up (books/websites) on live rock and feel rather hesitant in purchasing it before getting some personal opinions from a site I trust. I'd ask the LFS people, but I definitely don't trust them (the good LFS went out of business and the big, commercial place is thriving, the only one in town). Also, if I could safely establish a live rock foundation, how much would I have to change my tank as lighting and filters and etc. go? And would the live rock totally eliminate getting any other fish? The two damsels; a three stripe and a yellow tail. The yellow tail is a real runt. I've had him for almost a year and he's not caught up to his fellow damsel yet. So...let the answers pour in, please!

marinegrl

Whether the live rock is or isn't a good idea, what type of starfish is great for beginners? I'm scrubbing algae fairly frequently, though my water (checked by the LFS) is fine, and I'd like to see it eaten, or used in some fashion, rather than whisked off by my scrubber. Thanks again

ophiura

Live rock is a good idea if it is cured....if not, you may need to set up a bin to recure it, or buy it in very small quantities at a time.
There are no starfish, IMO, that are good for beginners (or eat algae exclusively). These are animals that are very sensitive to changes in water conditions, and many will starve. So it is important that the tank is set up for several months before considering one. Be sure that water parameters are ideal for them. In this size tank, it is difficult to keep things like salinity constant and that can be an issue. The only stars suitable for that tank size would be certain brittlestars and perhaps - a big perhaps - a chocolate chip star. Not the best though, personally.
What are your nitrate levels? Do you use tap water? If you are scrubbing a lot of algae I get a bit concerned about things. How long are your lights on?

marinegrl

Thanks for the response. I can't tell you what my nitrate levels are because I take my water to the LFS for everything except specific gravity (and brilliant me, I never keep the paper around with the stuff on it-completely disorganized)...but, I'm planning on a fish store expedition tomorrow so I'll take another sample and post the results once I have them. Yes, I use tap water, but I treat it with 'Kent Ammonia Detox Ammonia, Chloramine & Chlorine Neutralizer' (long name) and then use 'Instant Ocean' marine salt before pouring it into the tank. The lights are on all day-from eight in the morning til eight or nine o'clock at night. I didn't even think about the lights contributing to algae growth-duh. Anyway, you think that live rock is a good idea? How much is a safe amount for my tank? What kind of price range is typical?