I'm out 4 now.

flower

I am breaking down my 90g today... I had thought of restarting the tank after the seahorses, but aside from a single Lemonpeel dwarf angelfish, I can't think of not one other fish I would want, I have been looking at fish for over a month, and absolutely nothing appeals to me. This morning I took my bat starfish to the pet store to rehome them, along with a very hardy blue stripe pipefish (he has survived EVERYTHING). The sand sifter stars I'm sure will be found when I start removing the sand, and the snails I find that I missed, will mean one more trip to the LFS.

I'm going to store the tank and equipment in the garage... LOL, just in case I'm not as done as I think I am. I know I will still be lurking around the site, I can't imagine not dropping in to see what is going on.

I found a huge cage for JellyBean (my blue Front Amazon parrot) I plan to put the cage where the tank is now. The cage is taller, but about the same width as the tank, I think it was made for a MacCaw... A bird cage can never be too big. For those of you who don't know about JellyBean...I purchased him as an egg, he is 8 yrs old now, he hatched on Mother's day 2007.

JellyBean Jorge 01.jpg

flower

Lol he's like a toddler in macaw yrs.
LOL.. macaw??? His feathers were a little rough in that picture, he thinks he is a monkey, hanging to the roof of the cage by one toe, or swinging on his toys, getting his feathers all beat up in the fun. He's a total clown, and he talks really well. When he fully matures, his eyes will be red instead of orange, and the red, blue, and yellow colors will really pop. I have his "baby" pictures of when he first hatched, to think something so ugly could grow into such a beautiful creature.

I will be around Snake, this place is like my second home. I'm keeping my equipment... I have gotten out before, and waited a few years to get back into it. I love fish tanks, and I really enjoyed saltwater tanks so much. My Mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's year before last, and she is getting pretty forgetful now...so my plate is going to be a bit full for a while.

pegasus

Sounds like you're a little "burned out", flower. If you look at fish and nothing appeals to you, it's time to give it a rest. It's always best to take a break and explore other hobbies and pastimes until the old flame re-ignites. I know it'll be smoldering, just waiting to be rekindled. I'm sure JellyBean won't mind the extra attention... lol!

I'm sorry to hear that about your Mother... Alzheimer's is such a cruel disease. I know it's hard for both of you, and going to get tougher. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

flower

Sounds like you're a little "burned out", flower. If you look at fish and nothing appeals to you, it's time to give it a rest. It's always best to take a break and explore other hobbies and pastimes until the old flame re-ignites. I know it'll be smoldering, just waiting to be rekindled. I'm sure JellyBean won't mind the extra attention... lol!

I'm sorry to hear that about your Mother... Alzheimer's is such a cruel disease. I know it's hard for both of you, and going to get tougher. You're in my thoughts and prayers.
Thank you... We can use all the prayer we can get. Mother hasn't forgotten any people, just day to day stuff like how to make toast, fill the coffee maker with water...I don't dare let her in the kitchen to try and cook. ...She put an inch of oil in a fry pan to cook a hamburger, that's when I knew it was time to stop her from trying to cook. I sold her car, the DMV gave her a forever license that never expires. I have never heard of such a thing. I had to trick Mother into thinking her license was expired, I explained that I do all the driving anyway..so she allowed me to sell her car. As long as it was here in the driveway, she thought she could drive.

Yep, after so many years of keeping fish, I know when it's time to step away. I have gotten out a few times over the years, that's why I know to keep the equipment. Put it away squeaky clean, cover it up, and have it ready to go when the bug bites again.

JellyBean the monkey bird won't mind the extra attention one bit.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I understand that life takes you in other directions. I left the hobby 10 yrs ago, and I can honestly say that I have yet to get to the point where the possibility of setting up again doesn't interest me. You have a lot on your plate with mom, no doubt, so you've come to the decision to re-focus.

Beautiful bird! And don't you even think of leaving SWF. You are too much a part of this place.:D

2quills

I thought you already broke that tank down. What happened to the 30 gallon tanks?

"you can't go, all the plants will die" What movie?

flower

I thought you already broke that tank down. What happened to the 30 gallon tanks?

"you can't go, all the plants will die" What movie?
...???? What movie????

LOL... I'm not going anywhere Beth, I am pretty much home bound because I don't like to leave my Mother at home alone, this place is my social life.

2Quills, where have you been? The 90g tank was getting the better of me, I lost the potbelly horses one at a time, (over the last few years)...the last one went a month ago. Nothing was in the tank except two bat stars, a sand sifting star...oh and a very hardy blue stripe pipefish. The tank just looked empty except for the macros. I learned quite a bit about keeping a cold water saltwater tank. Because I lost the potbelly horses, I don't think I will call it a success. Although I managed to keep some very healthy starfish, and pipefish.

The 30g was taken down when I set up the 56 tall, so it's been gone for a while... The bristle worms killed the kuda horses off in that tank... after 2 years up and running, so I broke that tank down. It's sitting in the garage. I just got finished getting the water out of the 90g. I still have to scrape the tank walls, and clean up the pumps and such (vinegar soak). I like to put things away clean.

2quills

That was a quote from the movie, Stripes. An oldie but a goodie.

Been working my tail off 60-65 hour weeks. Trying to decide if I want to build a new tank or buy a boat. You know what they say about a fool and his money.

Guess I've been gone longer than I thought. Last I remember you had a couple of 30 gallon tanks going and thought you were already debating tearing the ol 90 gallon down.

jay0705

Been working my tail off 60-65 hour weeks. Trying to decide if I want to build a new tank or buy a boat. You know what they say about a fool and his money.

Guess I've been gone longer than I thought. Last I remember you had a couple of 30 gallon tanks going and thought you were already debating tearing the ol 90 gallon down.
The two best days of owning a boat. The day you buy it and the day you sell it! Lol

2quills

The two best days of owning a boat. The day you buy it and the day you sell it! Lol
I keep telling myself the same thing. It's just so darn temping when I'm working and I see everyone else out in their boats fishing and having a good time. :(

I'd probably get more use out of a new tank though.

deejeff0442

Hey flower.good luck to you all around.i have been building a house for almost 3 yrs now and really miss my tanks.really didnt think it was going to take so long . actually i have the foundation and pipe up and welded for my bigger home but economy took a turn.so 4 months ago we decided to add concrete to our 400 sq ft metal shop making it 800 sq ft and turn it into a house and build the other one later.we have been in a tin can rv for too long.well i figured 4 to 6 weeks we will be in.did the drywall the last couple days. Not alot to go .i made sure i have room for my 90 gallon. The wife can have the rest of the house. I will start up a thread when i get on it.i plan a full blown reef.led lights i hear is the new best way to go.i always ran halides.anyway hang in there.my good friend next door is dealing with his mom having dementia .

jay0705

I keep telling myself the same thing. It's just so darn temping when I'm working and I see everyone else out in their boats fishing and having a good time. :(

I almost did it this yr myself. I just couldn't pay as much for a boat as I do my truck lol

flower

Yes, you have been MIA for way too long, I've missed you. As for the boat...why can't you have both, a small fishing boat wouldn't cost all that much. I have been debating tearing that 90g down for some time. I always changed my mind, it was hard to break down a well established tank, I hated killing off the pods that I worked so hard to cultivate, and I know I missed some snails. I had a bag with water just for tossing in snails I would find as I went along...LOL, that's when I found the sand sifting star I thought was long gone....I was looking for it, just in case.

Deejeff, what happened with all those animals? You must post some pictures of the house when it's finished and your ready to move in.
The doctor put Mother on a medicine called "Nemanda", it didn't seem to do much for her, and it cost $300.00+ a month as a copay after insurance (that was after she depleted her allowed $2500.00 in RX), so for half a year that extra cost for medicine was a drain. The doctor took her off that med... whew, what a cost, I will feel rich now that it's no longer something to budget for. She doesn't seem any worse or better after we took her off of it, so I guess it just wasn't something that was helping her.

bang guy

Get the reef tank to enjoy every day and rent a nice boat when you need one. Let someone else worry about insurance, storage, and maintenance.

flower

We still have the animals.just want my fish tank again running.
I love the donkeys! Anyway, I think Bang Guy's advice is perfect for your situation, rent a nice boat when you need one, and not have all the headache of your own boat to maintain.

2quills

Agreed. Jeff, you rent the boat and I'll come over and go fishing with you when ever you want. ;)

deejeff0442

We gave the donkeys to some friends.we still see them.now we have 4 horses
2 pigs
8 ducks
5 geese
Around 30 chickens
Turtles
Little finches
And 6 dogs
Still a bunch.i built a 1100 sq ft horse barn that done.just ran electric and water out there while we were building the house.