I'm thinking of buying an orbit light fixture...

parameat

I want to buy a 36" orbit light fixture and am wondering if this will heat up my tank too much. I have a glass lid on it, and I have firefish as well, if I remove the lid, will they jump out?

alohami

I have had two orbit fixtures and loved them both. One was an 80w PC and the other a SunPod 150w MH. Both have been used on my 16 gallon. I have not had a heat problem with either fixture, and I even had a glass top with the MH. The fans work extremely well at keeping things cool. It is very hot right near the fixture (only the MH) but the heat is quickly dispersed away from the tank.
I am no longer using the glass top, but it is not because of a heat issue. Unless you clean it every day it does cut down on the light that gets into the tank. Also, it can limit the air exchange on the surface of the water. I am happier without it overall.
You can get what they call "egg crate" at a building supply store. It is a plastic grid that will keep your jumpers in the tank, but still allow good light penetration and air exchange. Do a search on here and you will see some pictures of it.
I have been very happy with the Orbit fixtures. Which model are you looking at?

taz_12777

I have the orbits, 36" w/ a glass top and it did not heat up the water any more than the regular lights. Not sure if the firefish jump though, never had one.

alohami

Sorry, forgot to mention this in my first post, but firefish are known for jumping.
I have an open top right now (haven't gotten egg crate yet), and I just lost a six-line wrasse that jumped ship. I wasn't too upset though, because he was a meanie anyway.
I want to add a firefish myself, but I will not do it until I get a crate installed.

klaramore

I have the orbit and love it. I do not run lids. I have little fan on the wall that blows across the top of the tank. This helps for heat exchange and oxigen exchange for the tank. The fan is on a timer goes on 1/2 hour after the lights go on and 1/2 after they go out.
Bill

uberlink

Originally Posted by parameat
I want to buy a 36" orbit light fixture and am wondering if this will heat up my tank too much. I have a glass lid on it, and I have firefish as well, if I remove the lid, will they jump out?

Don't know about the heat. Would depend on whether you mean an MH or PC unit. I thought I'd write just to say that I also have an Orbit fixture (the dual daylight/dual actinic 65w/65w/moonlight unit) and I absolutely love it. Very quiet. Runs cool. Well designed.

granny

I have the same Orbit and love it as well. The lunar lights are fantastic. I just sit and watch the tank as all the 'night creatures' come out!
I do use the glass tops though-kept clean doesnt seem to impede the light any.
granny

uberlink

Originally Posted by Granny
I have the same Orbit and love it as well. The lunar lights are fantastic. I just sit and watch the tank as all the 'night creatures' come out!
I do use the glass tops though-kept clean doesnt seem to impede the light any.
granny

Ditto. I use glass tops. No problems. Just clean them every few days.

fishboy091

I'm also looking to get a 72" orbit for my 180 gallon in the near future. A display tank at the lfs has one and their tank looks pretty good.

parameat

I'm not entirely sure which model I will get, all I know is I will most likely get an orbit. I want to have a reef tank, and I have an anemone (I know I shouldn't have it so soon, but it seems to be doing great so far, its just a little condi). Which model would best suit my needs?

oxbeard

Originally Posted by uberlink
Don't know about the heat. Would depend on whether you mean an MH or PC unit. I thought I'd write just to say that I also have an Orbit fixture (the dual daylight/dual actinic 65w/65w/moonlight unit) and I absolutely love it. Very quiet. Runs cool. Well designed.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I just saw some info on that particular orbit light. I am very interested in it, but am planning on progressing to a reef tank and didn't know if this would be an acceptable light for a reef? Will it work, or if not is there another daylight/moonlight alternative for a reef?
Thanks

wilsonreef

I agree with everyone else I have the Orbit 4x48? anyway two blue 2 white 65watt I like it too. Seems like orbit is a good company to go with

shawn_dude

I must have received the lemon of the lot from the Orbit line. I ordered/received/returned a 24" Outer Orbit because the halides didn't work. At first I thought it was only the bulb but after invensting on another bulb that didn't work either. Needless to say I returned it for replacement so I'm waiting. I do like the set up and hope the replacement comes soon.