IMMEDIATE HELP: Tang nipping silicone seal.

ray j neal

I have a very healthy Powder Blue. He eats a full sheet of Sally's seaweed selects a day. He also eats Formula 2 daily. He is a good eater. I am having a problem with him deciding to nip at the seal in the front right corner of the tank the past few days. He doesn't bother the other corners and all the algae has been cleaned from the silicone area. I am worried I will have a water leak. Is this bad what he has done? Is there need for concern or will my tank be alright?

unleashed

the tank should be fine it seams to be nipping off what may already had been loose you may want to add another feeding for the tang to slow down his grazing on it even if you use flakes or pellets

ray j neal

I can not keep feeding this tank. It eats an outrageous amount daily. Any more food and nitrates would goes crazy. I sat in front and watched him nip a piece right off. There is no algae visible anymore but he keeps going for it. I really can not afford a water leak!!

grue

Romain lettuce
This will give hime something to nip on when he is bored. Mine go thru 2 Leafs a day. 12-14" Big sheets. And they are about half of the size they will be. Hippo is about 3" Powder blue is about 4.5" and Yellow is a bit over 5.

ray j neal

I will possibly try that. However, the urgent question right now is if my tank is being damaged, ie: can he cause a leak?

U

usirchchris

I agree with the above poster that the silicone it is getting ahold of must already be loose. No way to know for sure if it will leak or not, but if it does I would say it is just a bad seal...not because of the fish. I can say, I have a tank that looks like your damaged part, all up and down the corners...when I scrape algae sometimes little peices will come off. i have had tanks running for years in this condition. I would not be concerned. JMHO

grue

As I understand it, the actual seal is between the 2 panes of glass. Very thin Sealant line. The Bead seal you see inside the tank is there for strength. After all you dont want all that water pressure on a 2-4 micron seal/seam do you. With that said, it is my belief your tank needs to be resealed.
Originally Posted by usirchchris
http:///forum/post/2805446
I agree with the above poster that the silicone it is getting ahold of must already be loose. No way to know for sure if it will leak or not, but if it does I would say it is just a bad seal...not because of the fish. I can say, I have a tank that looks like your damaged part, all up and down the corners...when I scrape algae sometimes little peices will come off. i have had tanks running for years in this condition. I would not be concerned. JMHO
While this is quite possible, this would not allow me to sleep at night. Now that you know that the sealant is comming apart, are you willing to allow the things in your tank to die? You will never know when the seal will let go. It could be that tang ripping the wrong piece out causing a small seep. It could be you that disturbs the sealant causing a small seep. Once it gets started the whole seam can come apart quite quickly.
I would be upset if I allowed this to happen. To reseal a tank is not fun. Probly 2 or 3 tubes of sealant, and a week to allow it all to fully cure. This could also turn into an oppurtinuty for a new tank or new sump or new stand....
(Long winded) Grue

ray j neal

Originally Posted by Grue
http:///forum/post/2805655
As I understand it, the actual seal is between the 2 panes of glass. Very thin Sealant line. The Bead seal you see inside the tank is there for strength. After all you dont want all that water pressure on a 2-4 micron seal/seam do you. With that said, it is my belief your tank needs to be resealed.
While this is quite possible, this would not allow me to sleep at night. Now that you know that the sealant is comming apart, are you willing to allow the things in your tank to die? You will never know when the seal will let go. It could be that tang ripping the wrong piece out causing a small seep. It could be you that disturbs the sealant causing a small seep. Once it gets started the whole seam can come apart quite quickly.
I would be upset if I allowed this to happen. To reseal a tank is not fun. Probly 2 or 3 tubes of sealant, and a week to allow it all to fully cure. This could also turn into an oppurtinuty for a new tank or new sump or new stand....
(Long winded) Grue
Maybe you need to take a closer look at the picture.

grue

Ok, Took another look. I see a seam that is comming loose. I see parts of the seam that is missing. This does not change my mind as to the need to reseal the tank.
Grue

ray j neal

Originally Posted by Grue
http:///forum/post/2806800
Ok, Took another look. I see a seam that is comming loose. I see parts of the seam that is missing. This does not change my mind as to the need to reseal the tank.
Grue
I would like to know where you see a seam 'coming loose'. I can take a my finger nail or a plastic razor style scraper all along the edge and can not lift or get behind the seal.