Important Question....

i have some bad news. looks like my live rock i ordered will be here before my tank. my tank is now rescheduled. will my live rock be okay in a bucket of water? i dont have any powerheads or filter yet.

invertcrazy

You're gonna need at least a powerhead and a heater. You want to keep the water moving and the temp 78-80. just my .02

premilove

+1 you are gona need some flow and def that heater. try to get that or you are going to have a lot of die off.

richl

I'm only in the hobby about 6 months, but after everything I've read and learned I always cure new LR in a bucket for at least 3-4 weeks before adding to the DT. Even if the supplier says it's 'cured', you are better off curing it yourself as there will be some die off in transport. Anything wet can alos bring in parasites to your tank, so the quarantine during curing might help you avoid this as well. In a bucket, it's easy to do 100% water changes twice a week. Brush the rock down right before each water change and rinse off loose debris. I put a tiny bit of fish food in about once a week to feed the bacteria. Periodically test the water parameters. If there's no ammonia, nitrite, nitrate after 3 weeks, the rock should be good to go. You can also do the smell test on new LR. If it smells bad, it's not ready for your tank. You don't say how much LR you are getting, but air stones work well for water circulation if small amounts are involved. Hope this helps

cranberry

He doesn't have the tank yet so the rock can recure in the DT when he gets it.
I wouldn't personally brush the rock... that would kill a lot of cool things that can live through the cycle. Shake it, vacuum it, but not brush it.

socal57che

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/2990179
He doesn't have the tank yet so the rock can recure in the DT when he gets it.
I wouldn't personally brush the rock... that would kill a lot of cool things that can live through the cycle. Shake it, vacuum it, but not brush it.
Ditto that ^^^
The bacteria is easy to deal with. The hitchhikers are what make the rock interesting.