In a new 55gal reef tank setup...

bobopolis

how much Live Sand and Live Rock should I get? Should I get all the Live Rock at once, or build gradually to that amount?

fender

I have also been gradually adding LR and have to say it has been fun. Every other week (payday) me and my wife go to a LFS and pick out a few pnds of rock. As a result we have a very diverse group of rock from fiji, marshall islands and other places. If you have the cash, getting it all at once might be nice but I didn't and I think my tank is actually better for the slow addition. I have been able to pick the cream of the crop when I rock shop.
Trying to get all that rock to look good in my tank all at once would have been a night mare. Not to say I have not rearranged, but it is a lot easier once you are familiar with the rocks and how they 'fit' together.
just my .02

burnnspy

When I setup my 125gal, I plan to purchase LR in groups.
If the LS bed is in good working order and the LR is semi-cured(cured LR that is shipped), then there will be no cycling problems.
I plan on quarenteening my LR to prevent Mantis shrimp hitchhickers from entering my display tank. That is why I will be getting LR at intervals.
BurnNSpy

ke4nfy

my wife and i bought our lr a few pieces at a time it was just more fun that way it gave us something to look forward to