In-tank overflow box placement question

wahoowa

I just built an in-tank overflow box for my tank and would like to drill the tank within the next few days, so now I'm just wondering about placement. How far below the water level should I place the overflow? Keep in mind it is grandpa style - no teeth.

posiden

I would place the top edge of the OF box even with the bottom edge of the top trim. So if you decide to turn off the pump for feeding or if the power ever goes out, that part of you tank wont cause the water level to drop below the trim. Exposing more of you tank then is needed.
I guess I should ask, how big a tank you have and how many linear inches you OF box is? How many GPH do you plan to run through the OF box? I can tell you roughly how tall the sheet of water will be.

wahoowa

The tank is a 75 gallon acrylic- it's the 5 foot version. The overflow box is 12.25" long, 4.5" tall and 3.5" wide. I'm running a 1.5" bulkhead with 1" plumbing. Also, planning on running roughly 750 gph

E

eric b 125

what are the dimentions of the return pump chamber in your sump?

wahoowa

Right now I'm just using a wet/dry so it's pretty big. I haven't built my sump yet - do you have any suggestions. It's just a 20 long that I'll be using along with the wet/dry.

posiden

Your looking at about 5/16" height of water flowing over your OF box wier. I will stick with my orignal post on where to mount it height wise.
Why are you going to use 1" pipe with a 1.5" bulkhead? How are you going to set this up? Are going to run a siphon?
I ask cause if it were me and I was going to install a durso style drain with a 1.5" bulkhead I would plumb it with 1.5" pipe.

fishkid13

Could mean that the overflow pipe is 1.5" and return is 1".
I would go with anything Posiden says, genus at this kind of stuff!(SP)

wahoowa

I understand the 1.5" thing now, I just don't understand the durso pipe. I don't know if I'll have enough room inside my box to do that - could I use a T connector out the back with one side going down to my wet/dry and the other going to a durso. Or, could I just extend my drain pipe up and drill a hole in the top? Thanks for the help!

J

jetskiking

Originally Posted by Wahoowa
http:///forum/post/3136984
I understand the 1.5" thing now, I just don't understand the durso pipe. I don't know if I'll have enough room inside my box to do that - could I use a T connector out the back with one side going down to my wet/dry and the other going to a durso. Or, could I just extend my drain pipe up and drill a hole in the top? Thanks for the help!
You can also run an external durso. Posiden is right on the height. Mount it at or just slightly (1/8) bellow the frame. Here is a pic of an external durso I did on my 30 cube along with the overflow I built and installed. I lined the bottom of the teeth 1/8 inch bellow the frame.