In the market for powerheads

fishgod336

I have a 150 gallon FOWLR I want to put some current in the tank so I need suggestions on what type of powerheads I should get and how many, I was thinking that a powerhead is a powerhead, does it matter if I get the cheapest versus something that is more expensive, and when I do get the powerhead should I order it online because my LFS doesn't have a very good variety.....Let me know :help: :scared:

omgsaltwat

A zoo is a good power head(ph) and they don't cost alot and come in different gph. I think you want between 10x and 20x depends on what you want to keep.

coderad

I love my Seio's powerheads. They have more flow for there size and they have a more indirect flow so your fish don't get blasted. They are a little more expensive but I think it is well worth it.

sufunk2

Go with maji-jet and definitely buy online. My lfs is double what they cost online. Dont know if you have a skimmer or filter adding flow but 2 1200's may be ok.

sufunk2

They do but im not a fan of that brand(rio). Most people on here say they arent as good as the other brands. Cant post any competitor websites on here, sorry. Just do a search if youre interested.

teresaq

I like maxi-jets too I just got one for 18 and some change. great deal- m0m24 at earthlink dot net give me an e-mail and i'll steer you in the right direction.

trex

i have a couple of rio's and i think they work great. Wonder why people dont like them?

sufunk2

Originally Posted by trex
i have a couple of rio's and i think they work great. Wonder why people dont like them?
I believe they are more likely to burn out.

promisetbg

Seio's are made by Rio. Rio pumps are known for leaking oil...and rio powerheads are known for quitting or jamming. Maxi-jets are a good solid product that last a good while. The impeller can be purchased and replaced when it wears out. A good soaking in white vinegar every few months helps keep them running smooth. When it comes to equipment, it is best to buy quality or you will have to buy it again. You would'nt put bald tires on your mercedes?