In wall shark tank

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by jpa0741
http:///forum/post/2925257
Don't worry about the bashing some people just can't help it. As far as the magnet I believe you were worring about the metals and sharks. I don't know how it turned into magnets and scratching. No worries as they are coated well and should not leach metals.
He wasnt bashing. He said what the other didnt want to hear and exactly what Sep and Crimzy said.

ophiura

Originally Posted by <scuba steve>
http:///forum/post/2925868
I was planning on having a baby shark in my tank and not in a grow-out tank. I thought i could just use a plastic stick to feed it would this work?
IMO, no.
Newly hatched baby sharks are often fed tiny arm tips of squid and such. And I would hold it under their mouths. There is no way, IMO, to care for a newly hatched shark in a 180g.
Also, and I am not being critical. If you can't afford the right equipment, you again have to think long and hard on what you are trying to keep. A 180 is not a cheap system...the water changes required on FO tanks, etc, adds up...and needs to be done. I mean you are in the realm of buying those $50 buckets of salt at a time - not bags. It adds up, fast. A skimmer on a FO with predators is perhaps THE critical piece of equipment. This is not being mean. This is a fact :( Nitrates become a huge issue. I would also have a wet/dry, since I would rather have a nitrate issue than an ammonia issue with big aggressives.

ophiura

Originally Posted by jpa0741
http:///forum/post/2926312
Excactly he started the thread asking a specific question not about tank size. You didn't answer that and started going off about other stuff. Answer questions and give advice when asked for it. Other wise don't comment at all.
I would like to point out that all these "you were bashing, no you weren't" posts were also not what the OP requested. So please get back on topic...

I thought sharks were sensitive to bacteria and LR could have them have infections. Is that a good protein skimmer? This tank is made just for a shark So I am going to have very low lighting to make the shark comfortable. I have gotten by with a heavily bio filtered reef tank with chemi pure elite to get rid of as much nitrates as I could. It is about 7 ppm for nitrates and everything else 0. My plan was to have live sand a large amount of bio balls then to get the nitrates out a good protein skimmer and chemi pure. Does this sound like a good idea. My little plug and play tank has about 30 lb of live rock along with a tomatoe clown a pink skunk clon both about 2 inches a flame hawkfish and a dottyback at 1 inch could they go in with the shark?

txfishman

it is hard to say. If the shark can cetch the fish they will be lunch sooner or later, and since they do most of their movement during the night they could become a very easy target.

9supratt4

I've never kept sharks, but some of those small fish like the chromis, goby, blenny I would think will become dinner.
My opinion for a shark tank would be to go with all aggressive fish...triggers, lion fish, etc. But again, I've never kept sharks before.

txfishman

I dont know how well that will work with the shark. Butterflys are quesionable about picking at the sharks and the rest would be small enough for him to eat unles you get them att full size then evev some will be lunch. You will need a big skimmer for all of those fish with the shark. so is this your stock list?
1 Coral catshark
4 green reef cromis
1 convict tang
1 bicolor blenny
1 diamond goby
3 Heniochus butterflys
1 Auriga Butterflyfish
1 Two-line Monocle Bream
1 One Spot Foxface
(btw i listed it because the links will probably be deleted.)

Originally Posted by txfishman
http:///forum/post/2927094
I dont know how well that will work with the shark. Butterflys are quesionable about picking at the sharks and the rest would be small enough for him to eat unles you get them att full size then evev some will be lunch. You will need a big skimmer for all of those fish with the shark. so is this your stock list?
1 Coral catshark
4 green reef cromis
1 convict tang
1 bicolor blenny
1 diamond goby
3 Heniochus butterflys
1 Auriga Butterflyfish
1 Two-line Monocle Bream
1 One Spot Foxface
(btw i listed it because the links will probably be deleted.)
It is kinda my first draft lol. Thank you for posting the names too. As for the I don't want anything thats even risk of picking on the shark so butterflyfish are out. Are stingrays just as predatory as sharks?

socalracer

if your not set on the sharks u should consider the rays..... whenever i got to any lfs the rays are 10x more active then the sharks....jmo

txfishman

that is strange because everytime i got to an lfs the rays are covered up in the sand and the sharks are out in the open following you.

Originally Posted by <scuba steve>
http:///forum/post/2926651
I thought sharks were sensitive to bacteria and LR could have them have infections. Is that a good protein skimmer? This tank is made just for a shark So I am going to have very low lighting to make the shark comfortable. I have gotten by with a heavily bio filtered reef tank with chemi pure elite to get rid of as much nitrates as I could. It is about 7 ppm for nitrates and everything else 0. My plan was to have live sand a large amount of bio balls then to get the nitrates out a good protein skimmer and chemi pure. Does this sound like a good idea. My little plug and play tank has about 30 lb of live rock along with a tomatoe clown a pink skunk clon both about 2 inches a flame hawkfish and a dottyback at 1 inch could they go in with the shark?
the bacteria that is in the live rock will be in the sand as well, as long as there is not a huge amount of live rock you do not have to worry about the shark getting hurt, they spend most of their time on the ground, so perching on the actual rock is going to be rare, but I would put at least some rock in the tank, the big issue is going to be the courseness of the substrate. IMO I would not rely some much on chemical filtration, I would plumb the biggest refugium that you can fit, and pack it with cheato, in my 90 reef, before it was a reef, I could not get my nitrates down past 20, I plumbed a 10 gallon fuge into it and packed it with cheato and I now have 0 nitrate, I think this a better way to go with the shark, it will also be cheaper in the long run, you can still run chemical filters, but you do not have to rely on them a much as you are now in your reef.

Originally Posted by socalracer
http:///forum/post/2927302
if your not set on the sharks u should consider the rays..... whenever i got to any lfs the rays are 10x more active then the sharks....jmo
I do believe that stingrays are diurnal and some are crepuscular so that would make since them being more active than sharks. Sadly I have never seen any other than in pictures. I know rays main diet is inverts, so would they be safe with smaller reef fishes? I would probably go with a cortez stingray as they are the smallest commonly kept warm water stingray at just 12 long including tail and 8 disk width.

I added a poll for stingray or shark and it would be nice if you gave a reason for your choice and maybe some more info on rays. Thanks a bunch!

keri

I think a small ray will move more than a catshark and be a lot more interesting to watch

nw2salt08

I chose the stingray because I noticed you mention the Cortez Stingray and I believe that they are a lot more appealing to the eye imo. I've noticed a lot of people have been more drawn to sharks lately as well. I think the stingray is kind of put in the shadows of the shark. hth!

txfishman

I voted shark. We were debating on whether or not you should get a shark because it get to big, and then you want to put in a stingray instead? Almost as big and a lot more active? That just doesnt make sense to me.