In wall tanks, just a comment

cougar

I really don't like in wall tanks. I enjoy being able to go look at a tank at different angles. Sure the in wall saves space and hides the ugly stuff. But I would rather be able to stare my angels down as they swim toward me from the side or look toward the backside where my trigger likes to swim. Even putting my face up to the glass to see the small stuff that couldn't be seen from the front.
Just my though, anyone else can add 2 cents or just ignore. Whatever

puffer32

I had an inwall in my last house, sold it with the house cause that was easier then taking it out, sealing up the hole etc. i did like the looks of it from the front, like a moving picture. If i did it again, I would put in an access door over the top in the front. it was very hard to work on from the back, and even though we have extra rooms in our new house, I choose not to do an in wall this time, and I have to say, I am enjoying this tank alot more.

urodude

Although it takes some advanced planning when building a house or a little demolition of an existing wall, I love my 360 gallon tank in the wall viewed from both my library and living room

urodude

here are some others. I plan to take some more from the other side. The coral formations are completely different from the other side

steveweast

It really comes down to what is important to each individual. In my case, the priorities that you listed are at the bottom of the list.....in fact, they are not even on the list. To me, there is nothing more impressive than a well executed "in wall" set up that looks as if it were a living painting on the wall. I've never seen a conventional setup with all the cabintry and light hoods that didn't look like the white elephant in the room. The "in wall" requirement is so high on my preference list that...if I couldn't do it....I wouldn't even be in the hobby. In fact, I went to great length to eliminate the need for frontal access.....even needing frontal access is a deal killer for me. We all have different priorities.....and different things that float our boats.

a&a2

Is that a picture or is it real??? lol Looks too good to be true! Where are all the wires, pipes etc... Can't see any of them.

urodude

If you plan ahead, anything is possible. The drains are drilled in the bottom of the tank on each side within the "mountain" formations. The outflows enter the tank from above on each side into the moutains and then each divide into 4(total) 8 outflows drilled into the sides of the coral formations(high/low/different angles) so there are no dead spots in the tank. There are two additional holes drilled in the bottom within the mountain footprint to allow continous circulation of water within the mountains so there is no stagnation.
The wet/dry, U/V, protein skimmer and denitrifier are all below the tank, lights suspended from cables within the cabinetry above. Ice cap fans pump warm air out through slatted cabinet doors up and down
It took a lot of planning and I had a lot of help(also not cheap), but I love it and the tank is virtually maintanance-free. No water changes with the denitrifier after 10 months so far. No livestock deaths. Ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, phosphates 0. I add a little buffer and trace elements every 3 months.

laddy

Well I don't have an inwall tank, but it's something I would like to do in the distant future. For me the enjoyment of this hobby, after failing at it on my first attempt ten years ago, is not really seeing the tank from every angle, or staring at a blue legged hermit climbing up a sheer wall of live rock--it's mainly the "behind the scenes" things which need to be done. It's the testing of water, mixing of salts, feeding the inhabitants--heck it's even the routine of water changes which excites me about this hobby. I admire peoples "labratories" in their basements with sumps and frag tanks, reactors and pipets scattered about. So if I even have a vote, I say inwall.....
.....good conversation by the way.

dut

I agree with the original poster, though I do greatly admire peoples inwall tanks and can see the beauty of them, I prefer to be able to walk around and get different views of my tank.