Increase Flow for my 330 gallon FO Marine

R

rajod

I have started to do some upgrades to my FO ATM tank.

I had ATM (that show called Tanked) make a display tank for me back in 2006. I will say ATM is second to none in regaurds to the acrylic work. Its a bit overbuilt, 1.5 inch sides/top/bottom with a 1000 lb powder coated stand. Its a tank.

They did not do the best on the filtration.

The tank is very tall (6 feet+) with a single center overflow (its a 360 degree walk around tank)

1 inch lock line floor return from UV

One of the two top sump return spray bars

Floor Drain to UV

The plumbing underneath is all 1 inch PCV with tru union ball valves.
The wet/dry filtration was doing around 600 gph via a little giant 4 series pressure pump. That same pump was doing double duty to a venturi Top Fathom 200 skimmer.

The tanks flow consisted of.
1. Two loc line (with flare ends) that are fed from main sump. They are located at top of tank one on each side. They can be pointed in any direction.
2. A 2 inch floor drain that drains to a lilttel giant 3 series pump. From that it went to a canister filter --- UV (25 watt) --- Chiller then back to the tank via a floor lock line pointing straight up. (That flow was probably 600 gph depending on how clean the canister was.

Recent changes to the tank.

1. Removed the chiller, cansiter filter.
2. Built a 1 inch tall wood floor with center drain to a 3 inch floor drain. This will handle a flood.
3. Put a 12 inch tall rubbermaide skimmer tank with a Reef Dynamics INS 300 skimmer. A much better skimmer than the tiny Top Fathom it had.
4. Replaced the Little giant 4 (overflow pump) with a Panworld PS 200 (1850 gph) It probably doubled the flow. Was maybe 700 gph now probably 1400-1500. The overflow uses a 2 inch pipe and can hold 5 feet of vertical water over it. So its max capactiy is over 2000 gph. The new pump raised the tank level maybe 3/4 inch. It could still go 3 inches higher.

>
The UV was too low as well. It has a Aqu UV 25 watt (2 inch) which is rated for a 150 gallon tank for sterilation. And now has maybe 300 GPH going through it.

There is a small submersible pump that feeds the skimmer. I am not sure its GPH but the pump is small so im thinking no more than 400. My fish maintenance fellow put it in. There is a passive 1.5 inch pipe that feeds water from the skimmer tub back to the bio ball sump area.

I think the tank suffered from too little flow for its size.

Old flow was - 700 GPH via over flow to wet dry. And 600 through closed loop uv. canister.

Now - 1500 GPH over flow. The spray bars at top now have a really strong flow that will go all the way to bottom of tank with some power.
Actually less flow in the closed loop as my maintenace guy took out the mini giant 3 and replaced it with an external Mag 7 using 1/2 inch lines to feed the uv. Its probably doing 300-400 GPH.

So here is what I might do.

1. Upgrade the UV to 57 watt. That can handle a 350 gallon tank at a flow of 1100 GPH. Change all the 1/2 inch pipes back to 1 inch so I can run 1100 GPH through the UV. The bottom return loc line would then have a 1100 GPH flow for a good upcurrent from bottom of the tank.

2. Replace the submersible pump that feeds the skimmer tank. I'm thinking of using a Eheim 5000, its submesible 85 watt rated for 1300 gph.

3. Replace that rubbermaid tub with a taller one to match the bio ball wet dry which is 20 inches tall. This would enable the sump to hold more water. Sometimes when it gets low the pumps suck air. There is not much margin, and i dont want to reduce the pump flow.

4. Replace the Mag 7 UV pump with a Iwaki 55RT for better flow through UV and water flow in tank.

5. Maybe put in one more pump just for moving water for dead spots. Could be a votec spinner type or maybe run another line from the sump to a new loc line at the top. Not sure on this.

I do not think the flow to the skimmer is enough right now (400 gph) or through the UV (300 gph)

Its FO no live rock, or live reef. It has live sand is all.

Any suggestions are Welcome for improving the flow and filtration.

Thanks.

R

rajod

I looked at those, they won't work as my tank walls are too think. 1.5 inches thick.

R

rajod

Seems I need to put my chiller back in. And I don't have much room under the tank for it. Its the size of a PC case. So I am thinking of putting it above the tank in the ceiling.

Cross fingers it does not leak. That center overflow also has a hidden dry area to run power lines or extra hoses. I could probably get a 3/4 inch hose through it. That way I could pump from the sump to the chiller then run a new loc line at top of tank for the chillers output. Or could just run another 3/4 inch back down to sump or skimmer tank.

R

rajod

I love this forum, the way its set up, the way it allows you to easily upload photos without having to link them.

But it seems to be lacking in user input. I'm not getting too much help here. Anyone out there?

R

rajod

The room is 72 degrees, yet the tank is 88 deg.

The tanks is 300 gallos

The lights are (front 72 watt LED) rears are 192 watt Florescent

Pumps

1. 60 watt skimmer pump
2. 150 watt PS 200 Panworld
3. 20 watt submerged to skimmer tank
4. Mag 7 to UV back into tank.

I don't get how tank is 16 degrees over ambient.

ifirefight

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJOD http:///t/396657/increase-flow-for-my-330-gallon-fo-marine#post_3534580
The room is 72 degrees, yet the tank is 88 deg.

The tanks is 300 gallos

The lights are (front 72 watt LED) rears are 192 watt Florescent

Pumps

1. 60 watt skimmer pump
2. 150 watt PS 200 Panworld
3. 20 watt submerged to skimmer tank
4. Mag 7 to UV back into tank.

I don't get how tank is 16 degrees over ambient.Sounds like you need to put a chiller back in for sure..If you dont have room,run it from a remote location...mine is in a closet,away from my display...

R

rajod

I found the source of the heat.

It was a combination of the puny 1/2 inch lines with 90 degree turn off the outlet and a very hot Mag 7 pump.

I Redid the lines to 3/4 inch and 1 inch 90's to lessen head. I added an old mag 9.5 and took out the Mag 7. The temps dropped from 88 to 80.

Don't underestimate the power of a Mag 7 to heat your tank.