Increasing the depth of sand?

When I started my 50 gal, I didn't realize how deep the sand bed needed to be. I'd say its only about an inch. How harmful/difficult is it too add sand to a tank thats alread going. I've got about 45lbs of live rock, 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 damsels and a rusty angel. I don't wanna disturb the guys too much.

irishstout

I did the same thing when I started, DOH!!:) What I did, with advice from a more experience reefer, was to add approx 1/2 inch of sand a week untill I got to the desired depth. After adding the new sand I would lightly stir the surface of the original depth into the new sand. I went from 1 inch to 4 inches with no problems using this method. You might want to supplement the new sand with a detrivore kit or sand from a friends established tanks to help seed and increase the diversity of critters in your new sand bed. HTH

nm reef

I've added sand to my reef several times. Initially it was crushed coral(bad move in my opinion!)...the first time I removed the LR and the majority of my corals and fish....then added about 60 labs of sand(took the crushed coral out)....had a major cloud storm....didn't sleep a wink!!! All my coral and fish were in containers overnight....LR was in buckets. Next morning I was able to sart replacing the LR and by mid-day eveything was back in place. Didn't loose a single friend of the reef. Several times since I've added smaller amounts of sand.....just add it slowly in relatively small amounts and there shouldn't be much of a disturbance. Care needs to be taken to reduce the cloud storm effect. It can be done...just plan in advance and procede with caution. I'll probably add a 20 lb bag of Natures Ocean before the years out....hope your transition goes well.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it would depend on how much more sand you want to add. If you want a DSB, I'd suggest that you take everything out, add, then replace.

keisersosei

I've never done it but some people suggest putting a small amount of sand in a Ziplock bag, opening the bag at the bottom of the tank, and slowly pouring it out on top of the old sand. There is no need to stir the sand unless the two sands are of different grain sizes/colors. If that is the case, then it is up to you whether to mix the two sands or not, just depends on the aesthetics. It will not harm any of the life in the existing sand.