Incredible dojo closing it's doors.

socal57che

Tonight there was a meeting held at my daughter's dojo. They are pulling the plug after nearly 20 years.
Half the strip malls are empty. The local Wienerschnitzel closed after being open virtually since time began. Our favorite Italian place closed a few months ago. Both of our Greek restaurants closed down. Lots of open spaces in "real" malls. More and more businesses here are closing up shop and the buildings are remaining vacant. Is it just here, or is this happening everywhere? I've read that the economy is supposedly improving, but from what I see going on around me, it isn't. What about where you live? How have you guys been affected by closing businesses?

bionicarm

Businesses are actually doing pretty good here in Texas. We've had all kinds of growth here in San Antonio. Granted, that may change since we're heading into this $15 billion or more state deficit. But our illustrious governor is solving that by cutting education spending. Our kids may become dumb as a box of rocks, but at least Big Business will flourish.

gemmy

I have seen plenty of strip malls go almost empty. In one town, I have seen "anchor" stores like Sam's club relocate to new areas in the same time. Then slowly one by one the stores that remained would close down. The same town has TWO Wal-Marts within like 4 miles of each other. The grocery store in the middle was squished out of the competition. The other stores next to the grocery store are starting there demise.

mantisman51

The small city of Sierra Vista close by here is booming. The population at the beginning of 2010 was 47,000. Last year 1200 new houses were built and permits for this year alone are about 1500 so far and the city is set to annex a large Del Webb property of 8,000 acres for a master community of up to 50,000 residents. I wish this "progress" would stay in California. Most of the farms and ranches here are gone. In 10 years we have lost the "Old West" and become another suburb of Los Angeles.

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///forum/thread/385445/incredible-dojo-closing-it-s-doors#post_3380375
Businesses are actually doing pretty good here in Texas. We've had all kinds of growth here in San Antonio. Granted, that may change since we're heading into this $15 billion or more state deficit. But our illustrious governor is solving that by cutting education spending. Our kids may become dumb as a box of rocks, but at least Big Business will flourish.
Why drop billions for dumb kids, when you can get those for free?
I dunno, I took a stroll through San Antonio (albeit I did go downtown) and that mall was dying, compared to what I remember it being when my dad was working in SA. Although the areas up north were still as busy as every.
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/thread/385445/incredible-dojo-closing-it-s-doors#post_3380328
Tonight there was a meeting held at my daughter's dojo. They are pulling the plug after nearly 20 years.
Half the strip malls are empty. The local Wienerschnitzel closed after being open virtually since time began. Our favorite Italian place closed a few months ago. Both of our Greek restaurants closed down. Lots of open spaces in "real" malls. More and more businesses here are closing up shop and the buildings are remaining vacant. Is it just here, or is this happening everywhere? I've read that the economy is supposedly improving, but from what I see going on around me, it isn't. What about where you live? How have you guys been affected by closing businesses?
You have to understand, that in places where the states don't pile on, ontop of the Federal intrusion, aren't doing as bad. Although 7-8% unemployment isn't as bad as 12-15 in liberal states...

aquaknight

I think what may be happening, is a streamlining of the economy. People are probably spending more at regional & national retainers. Say $200 for their weekly wal-mart trip, rather than only $100/$125 they did previously when things were tighter. And probably spending/less less at mom&pop shops, which represent a bulk of 'non-essential' things. That said, we are seeing new 3 r/c tracks being opened locally, so if people have hundreds and thousands to spend on r/c cars, we aren't doing that bad.
A lot of the shops here are newer, so a lot of them haven't closed, but some of the strips mall never really filled much.