Info Verification

megadon

Hey guys, I'm looking to verify some info from my LFS. My tank is 10 days old, it's a 40 gal 36x18. I started it with 60 lbs of LR and 30 LBS of LS from a friend that had it in his 180 for many yrs. It looks like I skipped the Nitrite and Ammonia cycles, my Nitrates are over 200, PH is 8.2 and temp between 79-83 through the humid nasty weekend here in CT. The LFS told me to do weekly water changes of about 20% and it should drop the Nitrates down. Is this something I need to wait out or will the water changes help it along?

jacksonpt

Um, both. Water changes will help lower your trates, but ultimately you want your tank to be able to handle them biologically. Personally, I would just let it go... the tank will take care of things eventually. IMO, this is no time to rush things.

mr . salty

A nitrate reading of 200 would surly be deadly to anything living in this tank.I'm guessing you either have a false reading,,,or the reading is actually 20..You should retest this to verify the actual count...If it is only 20ppm,this is nothing to worry about...Also it is no surprise that your tank skipped the cycle..That much good live rock and sand did the trick....

wamp

Im wit salty on this one.. I personally have never seen a test kit go above 140ppm.. Anything above that would not be accurate anyway..Retest with another kit.