Information on Japanese Pygmy Angel (Interruptus) Wanted

oceanlover

One of the members here has a picture of an Interruptus Angel as her avatar. Wow, it was such a beautiful fish that I thought it had been a fantasy creation. But she very nicely shared the name with me and now I am lusting after this fish.
I know they are very expensive (over $1000 if you can find one), are considered a small angel, and are mostly reef safe.
Does anyone here on SWF actually keep a Japanese Pygmy Angel? Or have you had one? I'd like to know more about them, especially about their personality. Also, any ideas where the heck I can find one?
All info greatly appreciated!

myerst22

I kept one years ago. Very similar to other pygmy angels, except they get rather large for a Centropyge. 7" max. They really only do very well in cooler water about 75F, unless you can get a captive bred interruptus, but that won't be until RCT opens up shop again. You can get them if you ask the right people. Some pics of one one of my all time favorotes. T

mboswell1982

Originally Posted by olga21
http:///forum/post/2859131
Awesome fish!!!!!!!
What kind of tang is that?
.......................................... READ THE TAG ON THE START OF THE POST, IT SAYS CLEARLY EXACTLY WHAT KIND OF FISH IT IS
sorry for the caps, didnt realize they were on, but, anyway, its a 1400 dollar dwarf angelfish

Originally Posted by mboswell1982
http:///forum/post/2859137
.......................................... READ THE TAG ON THE START OF THE POST, IT SAYS CLEARLY EXACTLY WHAT KIND OF FISH IT IS
sorry for the caps, didnt realize they were on, but, anyway, its a 1400 dollar dwarf angelfish
$1400? It's awesome but not that awesome.
I think they were referring to the fish in the background (not the angel fish you DUMMY
) which appears to be some sort of butterfly fish to me, not a tang.

mboswell1982

i do believe it is a butterfly fish, i hope thats the on they were referring to and not the angel, since it clearly states japanese pygmy angel, and lk, the reason they're so expensive is cause they are EXTREMELY hard to come by, a very very rare fish in the aquarium trade, kinda like the clarion angels that are selling for 2500 bucks lol

ccampbell57

these are not pygmy angels. They grow to around 7". The one at the Waikiki aquarium is quite large and is as big as the Masked angels it is housed with.
The fish in the picture is a Wrought Iron Butterfly.

mboswell1982

why are they called pygmy angels then cc? its kinda confusing, even though they do get to 7", thats a kinda overlarge pygmy aint it? LOL

mboswell1982

LOL good answer :p
i was looking at getting some of the pygmy yellowtails, but, ive had too many people tell me that they're similar to an emperor angel on steroids on the aggressiveness chart LOL and then tara33 steered me to the watanabie angels, and im definitely going to have a school of them in my 250g tank

aquaknight

Originally Posted by mboswell1982
http:///forum/post/2859229
why are they called pygmy angels then cc? its kinda confusing, even though they do get to 7", thats a kinda overlarge pygmy aint it? LOL
Because morphologically, the Interruptus is identical or very close to other fish in the Centropyge genus. Usually the brains behind classification go by skeletal structure. For this reason, there are a couple Centropyge's that don't fit into the genus, Multi-barred Angel -- (Centropyge multifasciata), Peppermint Angel -- (Centropyge boylei), and Venustus Angel -- (Centropyge venustus), and they are likely to add another genus, Paracentropyge.
There are several "large dwarf (Centropyge
)" angels. The Bicolor is the largest of them. Eibli's/Halfbacks reach 5.5", the Lemonpeel reachs 6", the Dusky Angel reaches 5.5" as well, and one of the largest is the Keyhole which reaches 7.5".

oceanlover

Originally Posted by myerst22
http:///forum/post/2858537
I kept one years ago. Very similar to other pygmy angels, except they get rather large for a Centropyge. 7" max. They really only do very well in cooler water about 75F, unless you can get a captive bred interruptus, but that won't be until RCT opens up shop again. You can get them if you ask the right people. Some pics of one one of my all time favorotes.
I do hope to get one for my upcoming 140 gallon aquarium. It is the most beautiful fish I have ever seen.