Infusing LS - Question Re-visited

S

sandy

Okay, still drumming up the bucks, but I want to put the question out there again. (Esp. @ fshhub). :)
*If* I buy the following for my 50 gal long with 3" fine grained sandbed (mostly Nature's Ocean with LS added from LFS): will the new critters get decimated immediately? I don't want to waste the $150.00 spent. Will I need to set up 20lbs LS and a little LR in my 20 gal and slowly seed the 50? OR will enough of these critters live in the 80-100lb LR in my 50 to breed?
IPSF LiveSand w/ grazing snails, 12 microhermits, tiny worms, mama mia worms, 12 baby bristle worms, reef amphipods (20+) & mini-stars. Also WonderMud, nerite grazers and stombus grazers.
My tank inhabitants that I'm concerned about
: sleeper goby, scooter blenny, 7 or so hermits.

fshhub

kinda in the fog here, but let me try
are you asking if you buy the critter package mentioned, will they get eaten up before they have a chance to establish??
if so, then yes there is a very good chance of theis, with some of your package
a couple of options come to mond
1) do as you mentioned
2)keep the tank in the dark for a week or 2(no tank lighting and addd them at night(may help some) AND feed teh fish well right before adding them adn reduce circulation for a little bit
3) use your q tank for the fish for about 2 weks, then move them back
HTH that helps give you a few options that MAY help out

S

sandy

Yup. That was what I was asking in a convoluted wordy way ;) (Will they get eaten b/f a chance to get established).
Okay, well, I guess I'll do the 20 gal tank method. My 20 gal is not cycled as a QT. It is just aging change out water. I could use 20 more lbs of sand anyway.
I do need to "feed" these creatures in the 20 gal, yes? What and how much?

fshhub

just a little fish food, not much
and the snails and large worms could be added without a problem, into the main tank, it is the pods and smaller worms i would watch out for