installing a grounding probe????

cbrynolf

I just bought a Ultra titanium grounding probe by Ultralife Reef products. The directions say to attach suction cup above water line. Ok but my water line is almost at the very top just above the black trim piece.
And it says to attach eyelet to a ground that is above water level. How can I do this all of my outlets are along the bottom of the wall and the fish tank sits on a stand. What is the purpose of this? Anyone?
Where do you have yours and how is it connected???
Thanks!
Chris

krowleey

mines plugged into the wall that is grounded, and the probe is on the back wall of the tank. dont think there is a set way you have to have it, just make sure your grounded at the wall

jeepboy

I just installed "rid-volt" grounding rods on my tanks. I put the probe completely underwater and just plugged the cord into the outlet below the tank.

gkp

The only reason they say to plug it in above the tank is so the watter does not run down it and blow the plug or start a fire. I would just make sure you have a j loop. The probe must be in and out of the watter( meaning the top of the probe out and the rest in the water) it does not matter where the suction cup is.

krowleey

it doesnt, that didnt make sense. you can put the probe under water anywhere you like thats why you have such a long cable. not to mention like the one i have the suction cup is actually on the probe. biggest thing is...probe in water and plugged into a grounded plug

D

daniel411

Originally posted by GKP
The only reason they say to plug it in above the tank is so the watter does not run down it and blow the plug or start a fire.

Yep, just make sure you have a drip loop. Something else to consider if you have a "plug" in grounding probe instead of a eyelet screw down style, is that you verify the ground works. Any store like sears, home depot, lowes, will have wall receptacle testers that will let you know.

squidd

The "Probe" is Titanium...The "Wire" running to the ground is copper...
It changes in the shrink tube right at the suction cup level...
You probably don't want copper in your tank...
That is why you only put the "Probe" in the water...