Interested in Anemones

jayson417

I had a question about putting an Anemone in my tank.
My current stock is
Foxface
Reef Safe Wrasse
2 Damsels
3 Large Hermit Crabs ( 1-2 Inches )
2 Tomato Clowns
I'm thinking the hermits will kill it. What about Starfish? or something like that. Any feedback about what you would do is welcome.

jayson417

55 gallon
3 months
My lighting is a powerglo light I just purchased, my local fs said it would help with anemones

small triggers

what wattage? and that is just a flourescent right? if it is,, its probably not enough. what kind of filtration do you have? Personally, I would wait a few more months until you get used to water changes, and are able to fix things that go wrong with the tank more easily. Just my opinion.

invertcrazy

As small triggers said this lighting is probably not enough unless this is a 4 bulb fixture. Anemones require vho lighting as in T5's or mh. Also as stated waiting a few more months as anemones require very stable and well established water.
As with anything you want to put into your tank, research should be done before the purchase.
to you for asking questions before buying the anemone.
Also be careful adding starfish like choc chip as they will eat corals. Hope this helps a little

jayson417

Originally Posted by InvertCrazy
http:///forum/post/3044284
As small triggers said this lighting is probably not enough unless this is a 4 bulb fixture. Anemones require vho lighting as in T5's or mh. Also as stated waiting a few more months as anemones require very stable and well established water.
As with anything you want to put into your tank, research should be done before the purchase.
to you for asking questions before buying the anemone.
Also be careful adding starfish like choc chip as they will eat corals. Hope this helps a little
Thats for the advice. The Powerglo light i have is 40W single flor bulb.
I posted a question in another area but i haven't gotten a response. I recently purchased a wet/dry for my tank and wanted to swap it for my fuval 305 and aquaclear 50 but my tank might lose its bacteria. What do i do?

invertcrazy

As talked about earlier, the single light bulb just won't cut it for any anemone.
As far as your wet/dry, why not run all 3. If this is not an option, set up the wet/dry and take down the aqua clear. Let the w/d and fluval run a week or two then take down the fluval. Running all 3 is the better option cause more filtration is always better as long as they are cleaned regularly and the xtra water flow is also a plus.

jayson417

We'll now that you said that i will keep the fuval and W/D going the Aqua Clear isnt very good. Another question i setup the fuval 3 months or so ago and havent changed the media yet. This is my main filter of bacteria so what media do i change? Not the sponge right?