??interesting

ok heres the puzzling thing..I added salt and water 2 wks ago..I wasn't able to test the water and yea i realized right after i got my test kit that i could take my water to the store and get it tested but alot of work an home stress completly slipped my mind..But any how i know it's old school but i put 2 chromis to cycle my tank i got them 2 days ago and i mean the ph is a lil high the nitrites are .5 to 0 and ammonia is .5 to 0 and nitrates are .5 to 0 .. the day i got my test kit i tested the water way before i got the fish and the nitrates were way high like top of the chart around 20 but they are back down now so has thing cycled or not ??..here's the Specs: it's a 55 gallon with hardly any lr an sand that i had in my old saltwater tank that i sealed up wit old tank water from previous tank it was a lil dry but not to bad..

mopar9012

are they at zero now?
maybe wait a week or 2, see what is going on. Just be patient
you could have just put some food into the tank to start a cycle so the fish would be suffering.

aztec reef

Its still cycling, the ammonia and trates/trites are most likely due to the old sand...Just let it do its thing.. Your tank is not cycled untill the ammonia and trites read 0...

socal57che

Originally Posted by natifishguy513
http:///forum/post/2727937
I wasn't able to test the water and yea i realized right after i got my test kit that i could take my water to the store and get it tested but alot of work an home stress completly slipped my mind....
Don't rely on the store to test your water, especially if they use "dip strips."
You are far better off testing your own water. Besides being more accurate, you can witness any anomalies that may arise from test to test.