Internal Filter Recommendations

lefty

Hello everyone,
Unfortunately, I have an Eclipse 3 hood on my tank and have long since gotten rid of the biowheel and put a bag of chemipure in its place. I also use a polyfilter in place of the overpriced carbon cartridges that go into the other filtration area. This set up seems to work well, but I am tired of dealing with the sketchy motor and water uptake system. It draws the water up too quickly and puts it out so fast that the force of the water is creating bubbles when it comes out the other side, not to mention it's just a mickey mouse set up in the first place.
I'd like to continue using the chemipure and the polyfilter, but I live in a very small dorm room and can't use a canister filter or anything that will sit outside of the tank. I need a good internal filter that is relatively quiet and will have a spot for me to put my media of choice. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance! :joy:
-lefty

lefty

I don't think my sand will provide suitable filtration. Its main function is for appearance and I don't think it really does much else. :happyfish

lefty

I know live sand in general would provide good filtration, but I don't have much of it and I also like running chemipure. Do you know of any good internal filters?
-lefty

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by lefty
I take it no one has had much experience with them then?
I have an eclipse 2 and i cut up the hood,, added a fuge and protein skimmer, upgraded the lighting to 130w pc's now i would easily say its comparable to any of the other mainstream tanks.. That fission skimmer might be an option for you, but i heard they suck,, and so does that berlin in tank skimmer,, to messy and un productive,, basically you have 2 choices, cut up the hood,, or start from scratch,, I instead of starting from scratch, cut up the hood,, and now even thought it looks A LITTLE sloppy,, its really efficient! good luck! or ask questions!

lefty

I am looking for a filter, not a skimmer. Though it is definitely not a bad idea to get one.

I've read relatively good reviews about some of the Eheim and Hagen internal filters, but I have no idea if there is a place in any of those to put the chemipure and polyfilter pads.
I also don't have any room for all the modifications you mentioned. It is hard enough hauling my tank back and forth a couple times a year =P
-lefty

ol'salty

if you search the forums there was a guy that had a thread and explained in detail how he modded his eclipse to basically be the equivalent of a wet/dry and fuge with a skimmer. It looked good if i recall correctly. Bang Guy is right though, if you have live sand and maybe a peice of live rock and a small powerhead is all you need for all of your filtration...
Just my .02 cents

ol'salty

Ok i'll be the one that asks... Why do you like to run the Chemipure??? You really shouldn't need to run it imo and if you have to run it there might be another issue at hand

lefty

I am not looking for a filtration method debate, but I use it because I move my tank back and forth three times a year (that makes for six moves total). I don't want to have to rely on sand for filtration because it is disturbed during travel. After it is disturbed, it will throw the levels off after each move. Chemipure will keep the levels where they need to be all year round and gives me peace of mind knowing it does so. I maintain my tank perfectly well and would probably consider not using it if my tank never had to move. I do not think that using chemipure is detrimental to my livestock and in the end it ends up benefitting them. Veteran hobbyists have spoken highly of it as well. Granted, not all veterans agree on every aspect of this hobby, but I trust them.
-lefty

lefty

Ah yes,
I received input elsewhere concerning which internal filter to buy and have decided to get the Tunze Nano Filter, in case anyone was curious to know.

-lefty