Introduced coraline rock, now gone!

netopr

Hi all, I introduced a couple of polyp corals around 2 days ago and their rocks was covered in purple coraline. Today, there is no coraline at all. I dont know what happened, I have 5 watts per galon and my water parameters are fine calcium/alk/ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/PH. I even use RO water from wallmart.
any help?
Its a 5 galon with a 24watts fixture. There is only around 7# of rocks and they had some green algae, but I brushed out. I do water changes every week or two.

netopr

BTW I have 3 hermit crabs that where eating on those rocks all day. But I never heard of hermits eating coraline?

sk8shorty01

Can you post your actual water parameters?
How long has the tank been running?
Do you have anything in the tank other than the hermits?

netopr

nop, no urchins
water parameters:
calcium: 450
Alk: 12
ph: 8.2
amonia and nitrite: 0
nitrate: 15
copper:0
there is 1 yellow watchman goby.

nycbob

wow i hv never heard of coraline algae going away within days. i hv seen them turned white 1st.

netopr

well yeah i am pretty sure that its gone away since the rock looks tan not white. I think those hermits are eating it. I will boil them up
jaja j/k
I also had alot of hair algae, and I removed with a toothbrush. Now there are some purple shadows around the rock. Well see

scopus tang

Not trying to be funny, but have you brushed the rocks to make sure they are not covered in a diatom bloom? Thats the only reason I could image rocks going from purple to tan in two days.

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by Netopr
http:///forum/post/2540418
well no, I haven't brushed them. Also I am not using any Cal reactor,Kalk, 2 part
I would check your test kits.I dont think IO Calcium is that high right out of the bucket . Are you adding anything to the water?