Invert ID - mini octopus?

eejay3

I am trying to ID an very small invertebrate that has turned up in my tank. It is pink and has 8 evenly spaced legs. At the end of each leg is an extremely long hair. There are about 4 of these in my tank, and they enjoy hiding within the rocks, plants, or simply "sticking" on to the side of the glass. They move themselves by jet propulsion and when they wish to fall they will relax their legs/tentacles, allowing them to bend upwards, until they reach their desired depth. I have also noticed that although my fish continue to check them out as possible food, the fish all continually back off from the little things once they get close to them. Does anybody have a clue on this one? :notsure:

eejay3

I considered comb jellies, but I really don't think so. My little guys are not gelatinous and have no bioluminescence whatsoever. Any other ideas?

eejay3

Okay, I think I finally found it:
Dots with legs, Part 2. Cladonema jellyfish

These are small jellyfish that can swim, but which also fasten to the substrate. Unlike the Staurocladia mentioned above, they don't crawl much. Not much is known about their biology. In aquaria they probably feed on small copepods and particulate material in the water. They may be distinguished from Staurocladia by more developed globular bell, their slightly larger size, and the shape of the tentacles.
Found at http://www.ronshimek.com/Animal%20Gr...Cnidarians.htm