Inverts dying

teamsleep

I have had my tank running for about 6 months now and my mushrooms have doubled in size all my inverts seem to be doing ok. Awhile ago I had a LMB but after about 3 weeks I havent seen him since and that was about 4 months ago so he is believed to have died. My question is as of late I have had a couple snails and crabs start to die on me every so often. I have recentlly raised my SG from 1.023 to 1.024 trying to get it up to 1.025. I have taken my time with that knowing that everything is sensitive. I was always moving things here and there and trying to find the best spot for my powerheads and such but have stoppped trying to do so in the past two weeks becuase I have arranged them in what I think is the best possible positions. I changed my lighting from 12hrs. down to 10 due to temp. always changing now that is set at pretty much a constant 80. I am about to order some fish but I am hesitant because of some of my inverts dying. The crabs that seem to be dying are scarlet and blue legged hermits and a couple Astrea snails.
PH 8.2
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Calcium 390 to 400 ( little low )
Lights are on for about 10 hours total
Tank is about 6 months old
1. 024 SG
Temp 80
45 Gallon

teamsleep

I have to leave my bedroom door shut becuase of a crazy cat I have and on one of these posts there is something about opening a window or a door and it changes somethign to do with the water becuase of air in the room. Just looking for any explanation becuase I dont want to get a fish and have it die becuase of somethign I couldve prevented.

craig7220

Leaving the window open in the room helps if your PH is depressed because of too much CO2. Your PH looks good.....How long have you had those crabs.....

seasalt101

what i'm thinking is your crabs are killing each other for each others shells same with the snails, do you keep empty shells in the tank? jmo tobin

extremepcs

Originally Posted by seasalt101
what i'm thinking is your crabs are killing each other for each others shells same with the snails, do you keep empty shells in the tank? jmo tobin
I'm a n00b, but that's what I was thinking too. My hermits are always fighting over shells. It's funny to see them come all the way out of their shells
They have killed a few snails though. They try to get Conch shells too, but the Conchs always seem to spin around and fling the crabs off.

teamsleep

I have had my crabs and my snails for about 4 months I got them right after my cycle was fully through. I have about 30 extra shells in there for them to choose from and I see them going through them every so often and finding new ones. I know I have heard of people thinking thier snails are dead but after some time overnight or whatever they are alive and moving all over the glass again. With Astrea snails I have heard that they cant always upright themselves so I have been aware of that. Honestlly I hope the problem is that they are killing each other becuase that would mean everything else is good with my tank and I could get rid of one more problem. The little b@st@ards always knocking over and bothering my coral.