Inverts Light requirements

mikes22123

I am somewhat new to the hobby, very experienced with freshwater fish (discus). I want to have a Fish Only saltwater tank, well almost fish only. My question is this: If I have a 55 gallon setup with normal florescent lights that can be used for freshwater I know this will be ok for saltwater fish. Will I also be able to keep inverts like peppermint shrimp, fire shrimp and starfish.
Please advise
Mike

kcobain111

When i started my tank it was with 2x15 lighting for almost a month. My inverts were perfectly happy and i had no problems. but my rock was not gaining any color. Some say live rock doesn't need lighting. I agree but think my rocks look much better now that i have 4x65PC that i got for 100 dollars.

mudplayerx

As long as you plan on keeping only those two shrimp and that starfish, you should be fine. Unfortunately, like kcobain said, your live rock is not going to get good coraline growth, if any at all.
Depending on the type of starfish you are getting, you might have trouble maintaining the amount/type of algae it needs. For instance, the linkia starfish need at least a 100 gallon tank just to grow enough algae for them to eat.
Do yourself a favor and upgrade your lighting. You will be SO much more satisfied with the hobby in the long run.

mikes22123

Thanks for your reply. May lead to another question. Cost is really not a big issue, I could easily spring for better lights. The problem I have is the tank is in the living and the wife wants it to look nice, as it is setup now for freshwater fish,t here is a nice wooden canopy over the hood, the equipment is not visible. I asked if I could put this wooden canopy over VHO lights and was told no because of heat issues, is this right ?

kcobain111

I'm still pretty new at this but as far as i know there will be fans on most upgraded lighting systems. The reason for the fans it to disperse the heat caused by the lights away from the tank. if it's covered then i'm pretty sure your temp will rise.

mikes22123

see that's my problem - the boss don't want the tank unless we can have the nice woode canopy over it so it looks nice. Oh if I only had a basemen.t

kcobain111

You could try making a matching wooden frame for the top of the tank and put the lights in the middle... then you would not see the lights....heh...maybe

mudplayerx

If you have the time, I guarantee you that with a quick trip to the library and the harware store, you can build a new canopy for upgraded lights, if needed.
You can even stain the wood and varnish it yourself. I've built entire stands before and I have no training at all in carpentry.
Don't forget that they have lighting available in pendant-style!