Iodine levels

fau8

Looking for the ideal level for iodine dosing. My tank is heavily populated with zoos, mushrooms, and other coral. I was adding an iodine supplement but stopped because I have been told over dosing will have an adverse effect on my invertibrets. I purchased a test kit and my iodine level was 0. I have dosed and brought the level up to .05. My replacement/water change tested at .06.
So the question is I am presently doing a 15 gallon water change once every two weeks on a 75 gallon tank and without supplementing my iodine was 0. Does iodine disipate on its own or is the coral load consuming it. Finally what is the maximum safe iodine level for a reef tank.
current water test:
ph 8.0
calcium 400
nitrate 2
phosphate 0
amm 0
nitrite 0

fattony

You shouldn't need to dose Iodine or any of the other trace elements. A good waterchange schedule (25-30% ev ery 2 weeks) will maintain the levels for you.

bang guy

Algae sequesters Iodine very quickly. Maximum reading IMO would be 0.02ppm Iodate and 0.04ppm Iodide for a total of 0.06.
I agree with Tony that there's really no reason to dose it. The risk is high and the benefit is unknown.