iPhone/iPad App to track water quality testing?

kgrimes

Anyone use one of these? Which one? I used to keep a log on paper...but...that seems so....20th Century. ;)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Wouldn't it be nice if you could scan your water with your smartphone to take and record readings?:D

iidylii

i would just be happy if they made a badge like the seachem ammonia badge that had every one of your parameters displayed at all times! million dollar ideas I tell ya lol

2quills

Haven't used any but there sure are quite a few of them out there these days. I'd say pick a free one that has the best reviews and go from there.

But there are certainly more advanced ones available for a price.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I always wondered what the point is of keeping track of this? Why not just test, make sure you're on target, if not address it, then move on the next time you test? What is gained from tracking?

Dtaylor2

OneNote is a wonderful, easy to use, multi-platform note-taking app.

It has a very functional Insert- Table capabilty that works fine.

I used to use the industry favorite Evernote, but found two problems: it never reliably backed up my work across platforms (iPhone, iPad, PC) despite repeated requests to fix this feature [this was a real killer, as I often switch between phone and pad], AND it had a beyond-clumsy table feature.

OneNote fixed all that. I no longer pay for EverNote. :)

bang guy

I always wondered what the point is of keeping track of this? Why not just test, make sure you're on target, if not address it, then move on the next time you test? What is gained from tracking?
I always kept track of Alkalinity and Calcium as well as how much of each was dosed. This allowed me to know, fairly accurately, what the consumption rate was over time. The trends for these, especially ALK, can give a general indication of the coral health.

Dtaylor2

You got me to thinking... Someone needs to periodically

OneNote is fine for simple notes. It updates flawlessly across all my platforms, and I use it for shopping lists; it has a checkbox you can add for reusing your list.

But it isn't Excel, I was thinking this AM as I realized I wanted to sort my list of plants.

Aha! I suddenly realized:
My iPad also has Excel! So I copied my plant list to a new Excel workbook on my iPad, and Eureka! It works just like the desktop version I've used for decades--well, with a few insignificant limitations.

Thanks for the thinking-machine jog!

pleichnerjv

I use an app called "aquarimate". Cost around $10 but it's great. Keep track of multiple tanks, take pics of your livestock, graph out results and remind when to dose or do maintenance. I love it