Irritated with my Koralia EVO's....has anyone else had this problem?

novahobbies

OK, so I have a total of 4 Koralia Evos in my tank...two 1400s, and two 750s. They are plugged into an alternating timer so at any given moment, one 750 and one 1400 is running.
A few months ago, the little center rubber "bumper" on the outlet screen broke off of one of the 750s. These little rubber bumpers actually help stabilize the propeller and keep it spinning in the correct direction....without it the propeller can push or pull water however it feels. I FINALLY got around to ordering a replacement screen last week, and it came in yesterday. Fine, great. The stupid part was only $3, but the shipping brought the order to 12 bucks. Whatever, I was just happy to get the new part.
While I was looking at my tank tonight, I noticed ANOTHER freaking bumper floating around the bottom of the tank. Sure enough, a SECOND powerhead screen has broken!!
And this one is naturally the powerhead on the lower rear corner of the tank, so getting it out is going to require removing an entire bookshelf.
I'm a little upset. One broken screen is a fluke. Two broken screens makes me wonder if these things are really meant to stand up to repeated on/off oscillations.
Does anyone have an email address or phone number of Hydor that I could use as contact info? I really want to complain. And I'd very much like to know if this has happened to anyone else.

meowzer

Rick...I have had MANY problems with the evo's......it seems eventually they all want to run backwards...this is why I stopped recommending them
BUT send an e-mail to his guy
mmagaletti@hydor.com

acrylic51

So your saying the PH's are running and then bam there slammed off......I highly doubt they would withstand that punishment forever....That is an issue with running maxijets on the RedSea wavemaker.....The constant on and off.....

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/394245/irritated-with-my-koralia-evos-has-anyone-else-had-this-problem#post_3508906
So your saying the PH's are running and then bam there slammed off......I highly doubt they would withstand that punishment forever....That is an issue with running maxijets on the RedSea wavemaker.....The constant on and off.....
Essentially, yes. It's not like it's very rough when they turn on/off, but the overall wear and tear does seem to make this particular part of the powerhead weak after a while. It's a shame, there aren't very many powerheads in town that are truely good wavemakers. Yes, I know about the MP40's and '60s, but they're far too expensive and too obtrusive for my tank, not to mention difficult to angle them.

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/394245/irritated-with-my-koralia-evos-has-anyone-else-had-this-problem#post_3508905
Rick...I have had MANY problems with the evo's......it seems eventually they all want to run backwards...this is why I stopped recommending them
BUT send an e-mail to his guy
mmagaletti@hydor.com

Lois, thanks. I'll send this guy an email.
The thing is, the replacement part is CHEAP. 3 bucks. Had I know that this was going to be a problem, I would have ordered 4 just for spares. I mean, come on...shipping is the same either way. If I have to order this part again, I'll definitely order multiple.

acrylic51

What about running them on Koralia controller.....Or a better investment small Tunzes on a controller.