Irritated Zoa's

moondog

My one colony of Zoa's was doing great, and they slowly but surely became irritated, it does not look as if I have lost any, but they are all irritated and smaller than usual. It seems as if there are formerains (spelling)? growing at the base of them, I don't see nudi's. I want to dip them, but I can't seem to find the procedures for a freshwater dip.
Assuming you would take fresh RO Water at the same temp of the tank and dip them, but for how long? How long will they take to open back up?
Any help clarifying this procedure would be greatly appreciated, I don't want this to spread throughout the tank, and it seems to be just this one colony.

debbie

I cannot help you with the dip process but what things are in the tank with your zoas (fish, inverts etc)?/
If you can post pictures here of them someone will be able to help you out better.

moondog

I have three tangs, two damsels, two percs, a bangi, and a pink square anthias. Typical inverts, hermits, a couple of bumble bees, nasau snails, and thousands of astrea (spelling?) star fish, along with a couple of serpent stars, and a formia. All in a 150 x high.
I cannot post pics at this point, and my camera is not good enough to shown the detail. I beleive it is the formerians that are causing the issue. I have not noticed a loss of the zoos, but they are irritaed, closing up, and smaller than usual.
The only noticable difference in this colony is the small "weblike" growth coming from the base of the zoa's almost like a sea fan, and I have noticed these all over the tank. It is not vermatid or spiroboid (spelling?), that is another issue under control. Again, I think a dip would help greatly, but I cannot find the typical instructions to do so. I see plenty of links, but I am scared to just stick these in fresh water without knowing the process.

scopus tang

Personally, I would dip the zoas in Lugal's iodine rather than freshwater. Freshwater dips will not only irritate the other invertebrates, but also your zoas. Certainly people have done it successfully, but I'd rather use something that isn't also likely to nuck my zoas. Just my $.02 worth.

moondog

I appreciate that response, I have been very sceptical about dipping them in freshwater. This of course is the largest colony I have. I will have to see if my LFS has some lugal's on the way home. Can you use the Kent Iodine? I have that at home, but I beleive someone on here said not to use it.

scopus tang

Based on your picture, I would say that is most likely what is irritating the colony. I would do an iodine dip. Lugals is much more concentrated than the Kents, and I woulde have no clue of how much of the Kents you would use for a dip.

saltywhit67

so how much of the lugal's would you need to use for a dip? I am in a similar situation so all help is also appreciated by me!

nano-newb1983

have u just tried moving to a different spot? sometimes something can piss them off, and wont be happy in spot they in
i had that happen b4, and i just did freshwater dip and moved them and they were fine in a day or so

saltywhit67

Also I have a frogspawn above the zoa's so maybe that is irritating them? I will move it anyway just to be safe. Thanks all