Is a 20% water change ok?

lkb3493

I am getting ready to set up a Qt tank to treat the ich that is in my tank. I am planning on taking out 10 gallons from my main 55 gal to fill up the Qt. I am also adding 2 cups of live sand and a sponge and bio bag that have been hanging in my main filter gathering the good bacteria. I know that there is ich in my main tank water but I am planning on doing hyposalinity so that should clear it up in the QT tank.
My question is will the 10 gallon change in my main tank affect it?
I am going to have to mix up a new back of salt water to put in the main tank...I just did not know if this was too large of a water change? Thanks in advance!

maryd

I don't think you're supposed to add sand to the QT tank. Mine is just the plain glass and I have a couple pieces of PVC pipes in there for hiding places.
Not sure about the 20% water change for the 55 gal but I think it would be ok.

lkb3493

I was just reading the post that Beth had left about setting up the QT tank. She said I could add a cup or two to the bottom to help with the reflections and to help kick start the bacteria...

maryd

Really? I must have missed that one. I've read no sand in the QT tank. I guess I have to read up on that.

birdy

20% water change no problem, a lot of people do 20% changes as standard practice.
Sand in the QT tank is also no problem, I prefer to QT with a bit of sand on the bottom and some baserock. Just be aware if you do have a problem like ich you will need to start over with new sand and rock, or let the old stuff sit without fish for 4wksa.

lkb3493

I was planning on letting the main tank sit empty of fish with just my inverts for at least 6 weeks to make SURE everything it gone....Thanks for all of the help!

am3gross

do you use a refractometer to check for salinity? from what i understand to treate ick with hyposalinity you will need one. me personally i will treate the 10 gallon with copper. the sooner you get the fish healty the more time they will have tdo get there immune system back in check before they go back into the display. thats just my opinion tho. hope you luck and everything goes well.
am3gross

S

sinner's girl

20% is fine for 55gl, i've done up to 15 gallon without a problem (30 percent). It's when you get closer to 50% that you could have a problem.
She said I could add a cup or two to the bottom to help with the reflections and to help kick start the bacteria...
just remember, if you use copper don't put the ls or rock back in the main tank, keep it in the qt.

saltwater8

It is my understanding that the more "normal" (i.e. the same as the ocean where the fish came from) looking to tank, the less stress and the better the fish does.
So, you would want to add a thin layer of dead sand and some dead rocks to the QT? :notsure:
It is also my understanding that copper harms the fishes liver....
:happyfish