is a 30 gal a good size for reef

big dave

Hurray for small reefs!!! I have a 29 reef and a 10 reef and love them. I belive the way to succeed with small reefs is less fish. I have no fish in the 10 and only 2 in the 29. Good luck! If you have any lighting/filtration ?'s just ask!

sharkbait

My wife has a 29 reef in her sewing room and it's wild! Becareful little reefs are easy to shock and have good lighting for it. Small fishies... Russ

D

diatom

Shark, you let your wife SHOCK her tiny reef :eek: Shame on both of you :D
Sorry, I had to do that

broomer5

Yes a 30 gallon can make for a nice reef tank.

[ November 24, 2001: Message edited by: broomer5 ]

predator

I'v got a 30 reef and it is doing extremly well. Watch out for agg, corals especially if you want to crowd it.

piscesblue

Absolutely love my 30gal, but had to reduce the population this weekend. I'm down to 1 pygmy angel, 1 scooter blenny and 1 very small hippo (regal) tang. Finding the right fish and fighting the urge to add one more is the biggest problem with small tanks. 1 more fish in a 125gal tank is not as upsetting as 1 more in a 30gal. Good Luck!!

fish fry

I've done a 29 and I'm setting up a 30 this week. As long as you keep an eye on your water paremeters you shouldn't have any problems.
Good luck.

rhearrel

I have a 29 and love it...its been going to 2years now with its ups and downs, but you can learn a ton from the great advice on this board.

oozy

i have a 20g i hav soft, hard and sps corals. i have 3 fish, a DSB, and 26lbs LR,
I love it, and everyone who comes over are instantly glued to the tank!!!
THANK YOU DUCE BIGALOW!!!!!
:D
-Oozy-

option720

Go for it, I’ve got a 29 gallon tank with a ten gallon sump and skimmer. It is a great size to learn and experiment with. You can keep some cool stuff, it is just as addictive but cost a little less.

piscesblue

I'm scared to move to a bigger size... I already have $1200 in my 30gal. I can't even imagine what a fully stocked 125 runs. :eek: