is a 56 gal tank a good size to start with?

tomoldershaw

i am about to go and spend lots of money on a fish only marine set up. is a 56gal a good starter size? i was hoping for a good selection of bright fish with live rocks and sand and some little creatures such as shrimp etc. is this going to work?

marty

Get the biggest tank you can afford. Not only will this help you in your maintenance worries, but also allows you to choose bigger fish. Have you thought about what type of fish you want? Do some research on types of fish you may want. Some fish like tangs need lots of swimming room, so therefore, an 80 gallon or larger is necessary.
Hope this helps!

jlem

You might be able to find a good used tank for alot less money. I would go as big as you could handle. my first tank was a 55 and it worked good until I got the bigger tank bug. That size of tank should stay pretty stable as long as you don't overstock.

musipilot

I agree! I've had many, many tanks, and every time I buy a new one I go BIGGER. I started with a 20 gallon, then a 55, now we have a 54 and a 90. I've been trying to talk my wife into replacing the 54 (corner) with a 92. ALWAYS go bigger, your water problems are fewer, and you can have larger fish. Another thing I've been trying to tell my wife...size matters! (in SW only!)

hawkfish101

I am starting with a 120 gallon tank first. I get mine in august. Then when I get that tank filled then I am getting a 300 gallon tank.

tomoldershaw

Originally posted by jwtrojan44:
<strong>Tomoldershaw,
A 56 is a nice sized tank and as stated should be able to remain quite stable with appropriate stocking and good filtration. I'm curious as to the dimensions of the tank as I too have a 56 gal. Perefecto that is 30Lx18Wx27H. It makes for a nice tank and allows you a bit of front to back room for rock work, etc. If you have decided on this tank, have you thought a bit about how you're going to set it up; substrate, filtration, circulation, etc.. Post some more info if you'd like some suggestions, and good luck.</strong><hr></blockquote>
the tank is 40x18x24(inches) i think.i would prefer a more cube like tank but nowhere near me seems to sell them. i would love some helpon the design of my setup. have u got any pics of your tank u cud show me?

tomoldershaw

Originally posted by jwtrojan44:
<strong>Actually, I like the added length of your tank, and I'm sure some of your fish will appreciate it as well. Mine is, as you said, more of a cube or "column" tank, however the depth makes it a bugger to clean or work in and if I need to get to the bottom of the tank, I'm wet up to the shoulders. I don't have any good current pics of my tank at present however hope to have something worth posting in a few weeks. I have a 4+ inch deep sand bed, and close to 60 lbs of live rock fashioned in an upright structure with several caves and tunnels for the fish to swim in and out of. I employ an Aqua C Remora pro skimmer, two powerheads and a penguin filter minus the wheel for added circulation and to run carbon. It's actually a nice sized tank for what's in there and would make a decent reef if I ever get bitten by that bug. Any ideas of what you want yours to look like or how you want to stock? Again, you have an advantage of added length, something which is almost always preferable, and the lower height will make maintanence much simpler.</strong><hr></blockquote>
i suppose your right. i would love a setup that consists of live sand and rock(although i need to know the pricing first), a god selection of bright fish and a good few crustaceans to scurry across the floor and keep it clean. i want it to look natural with some good tunnels and caves for the fish. i would love some pics of your tank wen u have some. cheers jwtrojan44 ps, what size is your tank in gal?