Is a Blue Hippo Tang to large to keep?

I was wondering if a Blue Hippo Tang would be to large to keep in a 29 gallon Biocube? I know that they can get somewhat large, but I'm not sure how big they actually get, Because everyone has a different full size for the fish. So, what do you guys think?

fishwish

Yes, unfortunately your tank is too small for a blue hippo. I wanted one too, but I only have a 55 gallon which it too small as well.

m0nk

Originally Posted by cleanrshrmpfan
I was wondering if a Blue Hippo Tang would be to large to keep in a 29 gallon Biocube? I know that they can get somewhat large, but I'm not sure how big they actually get, Because everyone has a different full size for the fish. So, what do you guys think?
Absolutely, yes, way too small. They get to be 12+ inches. As a juvenile (around 1 inch) they can do fine in a 55 gallon or larger, but anything smaller than that wouldn't work out well. They should also be in something that's 6' long (125+ gallon) before they get to about a year or two old. I personally have a 1.5 inch juvenile in a 55 gallon (and it's been there about 4 months) but am planning a 180 gallon tank to house SPS coral and tangs, so in about 5 or 6 months the hippo will be going in there.

nigerbang

I have one, That I picked up from a Local Reefer...It is about 5 inches or so....But then again its in a 180..A Bio-cube is waaay to small, even in the short term.