Is a HOB filter really needed?

ssmariner9

I've got 80lbs LR, 80lbs LS and a prism delux in my 55. I bought a millennium 3000 hob filter when i got the tank but am starting to wonder if it's any good? I can put carbon in the prizm so thats not an issue. I've heard that hob power filters can be nitrate factories. What does everyone think?

T

thomas712

It will only become a nitrate factory if you don't maintain it. As to if you truly need one, well, if you have enough turn over rate you can have the live rock and live sand do the filtering for you. As long as the HOB is maintained well then it can't really hurt, just add filtration, I don't even think that I would worry about the bacteria colonies on it since you have enough live rock.
Thomas

ssmariner9

I guess I just don't really see what benefit it has. I have enough turnover with powerheads and the prizm. I've heard that the microfiber filters will jsut raise nitrates.

rossim

I have a 29 gallon with 50 lbs of LR and 60 lbs of LS. I don't have any type of filter except that (I do have a protein skimmer though). With enough water movement, you should have biological filtration.