Is a two party system the best way?

darknes

I suppose it's time for a new poll.

Most people I talk to agree that it's silly to try and split everyone in America into a Democrat or Republican. Why not have politicians that run on their own platforms and not all this bashing back and forth between Dems and Repubs?
So, do you think our current 2-Party system is the best way to handle Presidential elections?

jerthunter

While this quote doesn't directly apply to the two party system I do think it can have some meaning here.
"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried." - Sir Winston Churchill

darknes

Originally Posted by Jerthunter
While this quote doesn't directly apply to the two party system I do think it can have some meaning here.
"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried." - Sir Winston Churchill

While no government will ever please everyone, I think we could have some pretty good Presidents if the requirements weren't to be rich and to give your soul to one of the 2 parties.

jerthunter

I think a lot of people share your dissatisfaction with the 2-party system, I know I don't really care for it, but it has worked, could it be better? I sure it could, but I bet it could be worse too.. Such a difficult question.

darknes

You might be right.
Imagine if instead of 2 candidates we had 50. The votes would be so spread, the "hanging chad" would start riots.

jerthunter

I personally think that a good showing from a third party candidate would wake up the 2 political parties and make them focus on the middle instead of the extremes.
Maybe that would fix the problem for a few years until the parties drifted back to the extremes.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No parties would be my vote. Its such an antiquated concept that begs to divide people. I'm probably unrealistic in thinking that someday we may get away from "grouping" people into idealogical belief systems. Saying that, 20 years ago, the Independents were not taken seriously, and now, they are a growing group of voters with considerable voting power.
"Parties" just means corrupt and special interest to me.

npage

"The common and continual mischiefs of the spirit of party are sufficient to make it the interest and duty of a wise people to discourage and restrain it." - George Washington

darknes

Originally Posted by Clown Boy
Wow, this is the only poll that I have seen on a political issue that is unanimous.

True.
Nobody likes our current system, but nobody has a better solution.

clown boy

I have a better solution. I honestly think that there should be just candidates running independently with their own campaigns. No doubt, however, if something like that did happen, people would come together and cooperate secretly...