Is All-Glass All-Good???

benihuma

I just read a post on a glass tank bowing at the front, but it didn't specify the brand. So, are all-glass brand tanks of good quality? I've got a 90 gallon. Thanks.
Ben

eslowfiddy

I have to agree that All Glass tanks are very good quality. I have a 30gal and a 125 gal from them and I am very happy. A co-worker has two All Glass thanks as well and neither of us have had any problems.... well aside from the startup costs for a 125 :D
-E

Yeah, All-Glass sucks, never buy them, waste of money, they bow and shatter way too easy !!! ... So wanna sell me your 90 ? ... :D :D :D :D :D
No really, they are really good quality !!!

gregzbobo

Every filled glass tank I have seen bows at least SLIGHTLY, if you look down the front from one end you can see it. Its only when you can push it back in that you need to worry. I've had a perfecto 55 gallon tank from petsmart for about 5 or 6 years for my freshwater setup, and its got fairly thin glass and it bows. Can't push it back though and no worries. I am ALWAYS bumping into it and leaning on it cuz its right next to my computer chair.

broomer5

I've owned ( own ) several All-Glass tanks.
15 High
30 Long
The 30 leaked couple days after set up :(
It was replaced under warranty by the LFS - no quesitons asked.
Other than that - so far so good.

surfnturf

Benihuma, are you going to go to the All-Glass outlet store in Milwaukee? I've thought about going there, just to see what the deals are, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

benihuma

What? All-Glass outlet store? I live in Milwaukee for 5 years and haven't heard of it? Where is it? Anymore info?

drkegel

to nolofinwe:
I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or not - but there are planty of glass tanks that have bow-fronts. All-Glass and Oceanic both make them. They heat the glass to a very high temp (like 1500 F) then put the bow in them. My tank is a 72 bow front and it's glass.
There are lots of applications ofr "bowing" glass - just look at beer bottles and curved windows in homes. Albeit the beer bottles are blown, not bowed. But you can make glass in a variety of shapes.
:)

surfnturf

All Glass is based in Milwaukee, I know that the outlet store is in what was in 1980 a bad area, Dad wouldn't take me there, not sure of the location of the outlet store, but here is where you can find out, give them a call! :
All-Glass Aquarium • 9675 S. 60th St. Franklin, WI 53132 • (414) 421-9670
HTH, BTW if you find some good deals there, let me know!!!!!!

slick

Hey Greg I don't think glass tanks bow as much as you say. I have a all glass 90 and I put a 4 ft square on it and no bow at all.

surfnturf

Any glass tank will bow over time, even 12 inch thick glass. Glass is a supercooled liquid, it is a liquid. Look at the windows in a 30+ year old house, it takes a long time for gravity to cause glass to flow, but under the pressure of a filled aquarium it doesn't take more than a year or so. The amount of the bow is really insignificant and does not affect the structural integrity of the tank, the silicone sealant will fail long before the glass will. If, however, you can deflect the glass by pushing on it, the glass is not strong enough for the pressure of the water behind it and it will eventually burst. A tank seems to bow the most in the first year or two and eventually seems to reach an equilibrium with the pressure behind it for some reason. If you buy a tank from a reputable mfgr like All Glass or Perfecto, etc. there is no reason to worry about it.

mmslue79

Well I have a 15 and 55 AG. And have had no problems with them. My perfecto is not up and running yet, so I have no opinion. IMO AG is the Honda of aquariums with oceanic being the Lexus, but some will argue this. HTH JMO

surfnturf

mmslue, I agree with what you said, AGA being the honda, but Oceanic would be the Acura, not Lexus(made by TOYota) LOL:D

bdhough

Ok you've scared me SurfnTurf..... Well not really but you just made me remeber something from 8th grade. The whole windows are thicker at the base because of the fluidness of glass.
But question.... Is that whole bowing thing the reason glass tanks leak? The bow and then the seal fails? How common is it for a tank to leak? I'm only dealing with a 12 and 20 right now but when i get some money (damn college) ill be getting a 50-70...

mmslue79

SurfnTurf:
Hey Man! I know my cars! JK. I only wish I had extra dough so I could get a Lexus, or I mean a acura, no wait what I am really trying to say a Oceanic. ::)

surfnturf

bdhough, the leaking in a tank is caused by the silicone separating from the glass, the amount of bow that occurs is easily met by the elasticity of the silicone. It is actually a factor of poor workmanship, stress or eventual degradation of the silicone (brittle). Any tank MFR worth it's salt will replace a tank that fails due to workmanship (always occurs within a few months) but it RARELY happens, one of those Six Sigma things er something.

surfnturf

mmslue, go with the Oceanic, you only pay for a tank once, women and cars cost you forever :D If I had my pick it would probably be a Mercedes SL55 AMG, only about 115Gs, a little higher I would go with a Ferrari. Honda and Acura are "get me there" Ferrari is "take me there" .

gregzbobo

Yeah, its never happened to me, but I would think that a decently well made tank would only fail if they screwed up in QA at the factory and sent a tank out defective, or if the tank was not perfectly level on its stand and blew out from that stress. Or if it was on a wobbly stand and somehow it got pulled down. I've heard that could happen, so keep an eye on any kids that tend to climb on stuff. lol

broomer5

Any glass tank will bow over time, even 12 inch thick glass. Glass is a supercooled liquid, it is a liquid. Look at the windows in a 30+ year old house, it takes a long time for gravity to cause glass to flow, but under the pressure of a filled aquarium it doesn't take more than a year or so
surfnturf - this is interesting to me.
Would you be able to expand on this some ?
I've read a little on this "glass is a liquid" before, but still don't think I quite have it clear in my mind.