is anyone a marine biologist?

txstud3231

hey i know this isn't a fish question, but i was just wondering if anyone in this board is a marine biologist. i am a freshman in college and are planning to be one. i am going to go to texas a&m in galveston. i was just wondering what your thoughts are on marine biology?
just put me in the ocean baby!

jim672

txstud,
I've known some people who have studied marine biology, or who have considered studying it. Although it appears to be a great field to enter, the reality is that it's pretty hard to find jobs in the field and many of the jobs available don't pay you enough to actually be able to support yourself as they're often research-type positions that are minimally funded.
I was also told that being in California or Florida were the only places where marine biology positions could be found....but you know more about Gulf areas, since you're down there.
If I was contemplating this kind of career choice, I'd do some research into available jobs. Maybe a dual major of marine biology and education so you could earn a living by teaching and spend your summers working on research projects in marine biology?
I envy your choices.....and your youth! Best of luck in college!!
Jim

fishfood

My girlfriend will be graduating hopefully next spring with a degree in Marine Biology. She is going on a research trip to Indonesia this summer for 5 weeks. I started out in the field but the realization how poor the job market is for marine bio majors changed my mind. If its what you want to do go for it but remember that the job field is small and the pay checks are just as small.

S

sandy

Not really an answer to the question... but my uncle is a professor at a&m corpus christi in hard sciences, forestry in particular.